Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I may or may not become a newbie here depending on what I decide to do on Tuesday...

I'm in my mid 40s and have ridden all kinds of bikes over the last 30 years or so. Today I have been out shopping for a "sundays" fun bike as the touring with the wife will probably be reduced quite a bit over the next few years at least. Wow, "naked" sport bikes have come a long way (my last bike of that kind was a 99 ZRX1100)

Long story short it comes down to a "new" zero miles '08 FZ-1 or a '04 Monster S4R with 6500 miles, "recently serviced". Both to be had for about the same $$.

I rode both bikes twice for about 20 minutes each and came away very impressed with the FZ-1, sneaky fast, very elastic motor, smooth, but the handling wasn't perfect - tendency to fall into the corners a bit (just like my old FJ1200 used to do) and a little loose rear end on bumpy stuff.

The Monster of course with Ohlins all around was planted and nimble like, well, a bike with top-notch suspension. The engine is more brutal in response, less refined and therefore may feel a bit faster but I don't think it actually is. Coolness factor of course is 10:1 for the Duc.

The FZ-1 is the more 'resonable choice' but the Ducati would be the emotional choice. I'm just a little afraid of maintenance and cost of ownership.

Any input, including what to check for on the Duc, will be appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Although Ducati has labeled as a high cost to maintain bike, it actually is not that true. Just like all Harley's leak oil myth. Just because they did in the past does not ring true now. Service intervals have changed recently to allow for more miles between service. That being said, the cost of ownership, in my opinion, is relatively cheap compared to the thrills the bike will give you. The only thing that might distract me is the fact the Duc is an 04. Not sure what price you are getting???

It seems as if you were impressed by the Monster. Ask yourself if you like your ice cream vanilla or you prefer a banana split? Sure they are both good, but toppings and the extra calories are worth it!

Buy the bike that speaks to you the most! They are both good bikes though, not to hate on the FZ-1.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
price is 7500. The Duc has Arrow CF system plus original cans.
Yes I was indeed impressed by the Monster. Very hard clutch pull and virtually non-existent, mushy rear brakes but excellent front brakes and suspension.
The motor has "soul"
The CF everywhere looks nice.
The blue paint with the white stripe is sexy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
owning a Ducati or other Itlian bike exotica will give you a feeling, on and off the bike , which not many other brands can match.

Have Fun.

ps. I'm of to the garage to drool over my baby right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts