Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(cross posted by suggestion of other board members.)

Hello All,

First time poster here! Let me say that this is a fine board - truly feels like a welcoming place and I do hope to spend a bit of time here.

I'm two shakes away from pulling the trigger on an S2r 1000. Actually, I don't have any questions about the bike - the 1k certainly fits the bill for my needs/desires. What I actually have questions about are the dealers!

I come from riding BMW's for quite a while. Current bike is a '95 BMW R1100RSL. I've managed to put around 30k on the bike in the past two years and have come to the conclusion that while the RSL might be the best two-up "sporty" bike out there, I find myself longing for something lighter, better handling, and with a better power-weight ratio. It's rather funny that I've gone from a K100RS (680#) to a ZX11 (605#) to the RSL (560#)...

Oh, and no fairing. V-Twin. Dry Clutch ringing preferred. And track capable. Well, track capable without dragging cylinders on the ground...

I whittled my choices down to either the Xb12r or the S2r 1k. And, being that I'm Italian there really is only one viable choice...

One thing I've learned is that the dealers need to be solid or it ruins the brand experience. Seaver BMW in Orange has been a spectacular example for any other brand to follow. Sadly Seaver doesn't sell Ducs. The closest Duc dealership is Brea Ducati - I swung by there and had a nice chat with the folks. Stuck me as decent enough folks - they pretty much offered me a test ride on an S2r 1k on the spot (Just come back with your gear and proof of insurance) - I figure to take them up on the ofer as soon as I can.

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Brea Ducati - Triumph. Any good? They claim to be the Press-Fleet service center for North America. If that's indeed true that could be a good sign.

Anyway, anyone deal with them?

Thanks!

(PS: The Duc dry clutch isn't that heavy. Feels almost the same as my RSL)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well, you'll definitely notice the 120# cut that the S2R1k offers over your RSL.

Lots of opinions on dealers here, you'll definitely get a response.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Well....I can see from your profile that you are very local ... ::)
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=17750

I have dealt with SoCal Ducati, but actually with servicing my Triumph. Not a bad place. Smaller Dealer posture. Easy to test ride a Ducati and get some feel for the breed. Nice folks.

Suggest you checkout a few. Go to Spectrum and a couple of others.....that is if you have the time and if you are in the area ??? ( Location ) :-\

Hopefully, a few others will post up and chime in on their preferences. There has been quite a bit of previous discussion on this very topic ..... [laugh]

Good luck ! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad Dog said:
Well....I can see from your profile that you are very local ... ::)
Oh hush.

Live in Anaheim Hills.

IBA # 20880.

My personal website: www.lengtheningshadows.com

Any weather. Any distance. Any time. As long as it's over 32 degrees, I ride. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Oh, you're welcome.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hahm Motorsports in Newport Beach.

Cool another IBA member. [thumbsup]

I forget what my # is

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my '06 S2R from SoCal Ducati, Brea in October. Their price was very reasonable. I went to Pro Italia (Glendale) first and didn't like their sales pitch and price. John and Richard were very nice. My bike came in on-time as promised (they didn't have my choice of color) and prepared it VERY well before delivery.

Their "after-sales" support has been excellent too. Since it's my first bike and like other newbies, I have many stupid questions. Their service dept people took time to answer my questions over the phone. I've had very good experience with them so far and highly recommend them.

My bike is still in the breaking-in period; therefore, I can't comment on their work and price yet.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I like Brea and Spectrum. Both stores are staffed by good people with lots of riding knowledge/ experience. I bought my bike from Spectrum (Aaron - great guy) and have had nothing but good experiences with Rob in Parts, Adrian the Service Manager, and Neil the Tech.

Lester

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go to Spectrum

Aaron at Spectrum. Great guy. Rob and Dave in parts. All very nice, very helpful. A very friendly environment.
I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Ara

S2R 800 Spectrum
1098 (soon) Spectrum

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
I hear everyone has passion for Del Amo.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh, I had a friend who did some work for Del Amo - if even half of his stories are true I'm just not going to be giving DelAmo much business...

Thanks for the pointers guys. I'll head down to Spectrum and see what they have to offer as well. It'll be interesting to see what the service costs are like...

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
bought my ducati monster 620 from so cal motorcycles (brea ducati-trumph-victory) ... totally good experience! got some good tech advice from mike & tj in parts and service, and since then have added termignoni carbon fiber silencers, a tail chop kit and a gel saddle. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what ever it is worth I had an opportunity to meet them at the IMS in Long Beach and they seemed like nice enough folks.

Here are some pictures of the Monster they had at the show.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, they have that S4r on display at the shop. It's one helluva looker!

Tommorow's Saturday - gonna have to go for a test ride tommorow to see what I think!

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
West Hollywood Ride......

:-*

:-* :-*

:-* :-*

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I hope that fancy monster gets a good ride in it's life time. I hate how some people deck out their bike so nicely and then it just sits there on display it's entire life. Look at that baby blue monster from Santa Barbara that got 3rd place and last year's Monster competition at Laguna Seca. As far as I can tell it just sits there in the window of Santa Barbara Ducati. It's so burried behind bikes I don't imagine it ever gets ridden at all. :-\

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
oh you mean the one hand built by that girl... who's actually the daughter of the SB shop owner...? ::)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts