Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'm not used to riding at school again yet since I don't expect people to be coming out of parallel parking on the left side of the street. :-\ I got hit Saturday night when a guy thought I was in the middle of a 3 lane 1-way street but I was actually on the right side of the left lane. :-X So I'm riding along and for some reason decide to look down at my tank and suddenly see this white bumber coming at me from the left side. My first thought is swerve right but I see there's a car there so I scoot over to the far side of the right lane and lift my leg up in a meager attempt to save my leg.

The car hit my bike at about midspan, right where my leg should have been and clipped my foot. I didn't fall but I got a nice shove and managed to pull over without any problems. Traded insurance info and whatnot but forgot to call the police since it's my first accident where I didn't leave in an abulance (2nd accident total). Insurance claim has already been sent.

I've got a light sprain in my ankle but can already walk without pain and can kind of run. My worry is the bike. As you can see from the pictures my left side panel is totally shot and the shift lever isn't in the best shape either. It's bent into a circle and nearly touches the footpeg. You gotta admit they make the old stuff pretty durable. That's the 2nd accident this shift lever has been through so it's already been straightened out once. I'm surprised it didn't break. The shift rod link (is that the right name?) just under the shift lever looks fine but I'm wondering if anything might be damaged inside. The bike is stuck in 3rd gear since I was cruising at 35-ish. Luckily I was on my way to pick up my girl so she wasn't with me when it happened. With my luck I hit all the red lights on steep hills so I had to swing something like 8 right handers to get home (like 5 blocks) since I couldn't get the bike to move from a dead stop on those steep hills in 3rd gear.

The question:
I thought I should be able to still get the bike to shift but couldn't even when I was kneeling next to the bike and leaning on the shift lever with most of my weight. It feels like it's binding up. I'm wondering if this is because I'm not getting enough leverage since the shift lever is still bent (I'm losing half of my moment arm for leverage) or do you think something inside the bike is broken? What should I tell the mechanic when I take it in for him to take a look at it? I wish we had a Ducati dealership here but the closest one is 100+ miles away in Santa Barbara. Luckily one of the guys at Central Coast Mechanics used to work at a Ducati dealership so he's at least familiar with them.

Thanks for reading all the way through. Oh yeah, the accident took the other guys bumber off ;D I was happy he didn't get away unscathed. >:D

*edit: Forgot the pics. Also, called Pro-Italia SB and they quoted me about $220 for the side panel and shift lever after tax and shipping. But the insurance company will probably want a shop to take a look at it and I hear PI SB will come out and pick up my bike and drop it off when it's done for $45. So somehwere around $250 if there's nothing wrong on the inside. Good thing it's not my fault. Dang, I forgot to check to check if the side panel is carbon fiber stock. ::)

Attachments

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
First, what kinda bike is it? Second, I think only the S4R's came with CF side panels stock, so it would have to be aftermarket. Third, I think that's the worst I've ever seen a shifter! ::) glad you're ok though

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, woops. Thought I had my bike info on my profile but I guess it got lost in the switch to the new server. I'm riding a '95 M900.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Try Ducati Seattle a call on your parts and see what they quote ya. Dave R is a great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Jeepers... looks like one very close call.
For carbon parts you can also shop http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ (among other things). I've just found them to have low prices on carbon stuff. /shrug
Another option is http://www.shift-tech.com/, another DML sponsor who specializes in carbon fibre.

Glad you're okay!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was lucky I had time to lift my leg and that the guy was coming out of a parking spot. If he had been making a left hander he would have hit me a lot harder and probably broken my leg and knocked me over.

It looks like my bike is going to Pro Italia in Santa Barbara. They're less than 2 years old I think so I'm not sure how it'll be but they will come out and pick up the bike for $50 and the insurance company is insisting that it be checked out by a mechanic. The central coast is awsome for riding weather but it sucks that there are no Ducati dealers or authorized mechanics from Santa Barbara up to San Jose (is there even one in San Jose?) Oh well, it used to be worse. Before Pro Italia SB came up you had to go to either Glendale (Glendora?) or SF area to get an authorized mechanic.

The accident is entirely the other guy's fault so I'm getting everything fixed and the inital $50 transport cost is going on his tab anyway. Of course once the bike is fixed it's my money to go out there and get it... But that ain't so bad. I'll take it out of the $250 I get for "pain and suffering" from a minor sprained ankle. (I could walk w/o pain the next day.) Insurance adjuster should be out there on Thursday and I'll get a call back from them by Friday. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
There's a pretty strong Ducati community in the La Honda/Portola Valley area near Woodside/Half Moon Bay. You might try and ask some of the folks from that region who they suggest using. Here's a website that may help too- http://www.ducatiowners.com/mh900e/events.html

My brother has a work buddy who has had a few Ducatis from around there. I'll give him a call tomorrow while he's at work and see if he can find out who work-buddy-guy went to.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Good job of not getting really creamed! That coulda hurt. Let the dealer handle the insurance company, but do make sure the dealer knows what you want

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
NAKID said:
Second, I think only the S4R's came with CF side panels stock, so it would have to be aftermarket.
All Monsters had carbon side panels until 1998, when they went to the cheapo plastic. They still used carbon side panels on the S models.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even if I decide to take them off it'd be nice to get it replaced if it's on someone else's dime. ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.