Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Possible Relocation

1K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Yoda9 
#1 ·
Hello DeVal Mostro,

I am currently in the Detroit area, but was contacted about some possible openings in the SE/Central PA area. The openings are in the Harrisburg, York, Altoona, State College and Williamsport areas? Is there any area that I should stay away from? How is the job market out there? Since I work in the automotive industry, the job market here is bleak at best. I kind of liked the idea of the State College area only because I still have a year or so to go for my BSME, but on the other hand, I don't want to be living in a rowdy college town (I already did that in East Lansing).

Any insight you guys/gals could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

#2 ·
Any of those towns are nice. I know more about the York Harrisburg area. You'll find these two areas probally more congested then the others but very tolerable. Job market for the York and harrisburg area is good, housing cost are fair, and good quility of life, and a great monster club ;D As for the degree completion Penn state has campus around the area not just in state college.

Pm me your address I'll send you some local newspapers if you want them.

#3 ·
Harrisburg probably the biggest economy of all of these, but it's not Big City. State College good if you like access to cerebrally stimulating things. Williamsport and Altoona have seen better days and both are in isolated areas - not where I'd be looking.

Riding in all of these places is better than Detriot...

tunp will set you straight, good luck [thumbsup]

#5 ·
I've only been to state college a few times but it's a nice place....being a college kid who hates other college kids I approve of the low college kid ratio.

......(just realized he hangs out with a bunch of 30 year olds)

#6 ·
Tang said:
Williamsport is a sh**t hole.
evidently williamsport is a sh!thole

so ill chime in on the others... because i know everything

state college - overrated unless you like to paint your face blue and white
york - they build harleys there. fnck that
altoona - i think that means sh!thole in american indian
harrisburg - it all thats left, most likely has the best educational as well as job options, has great bars and restaurants (what else do you want from a big town), and DeVal West lives here ;)

id say the choice is clear

#8 ·
I'll put in my 2.5 cents. . .

Altoona - um, it's in the middle of the middle of nowhere and I can't recomend it, unless you like isolation, and people like Jim Varney's character in "Ernest Goes to Camp".
York - Seems Ok. Don't know much about it. Easy trip to Baltimore and D.C. from there (+/- ?). The band Live hails from York.
Harrisburg - I agree with Hoss on this, good pay, good opportunities to have fun, close to excellent riding.
State College - It's also in the middle of nowhere, but there's all the advantages/disadvantages of a college town. Don't make fun of Joe Paterno if you visit there. . .
Williamsport - There's a "low security" prison there. They escape and cause problems. Beautiful setting and a great brew pub, though. Little League World Series town.

#10 ·
DukeOddy said:
York is turning slum very fast. Pretty much a shithole unless you get in to the more rural areas of York. What type of openings are you looking at?
i don't want to be a downer on this, but there is a song by the afore mentioned band, Live. The name of the song is **** Town...it's about York.

i think h-burg is the safest bet right now unless you want a college town or isolation.

#11 ·
Thanks for all of the info. Sounds like I should make a push for Harrisburg.

tunp said:
Pm me your address I'll send you some local newspapers if you want them.
Done, thanks.

#12 ·
DukeOddy said:
What type of openings are you looking at?
Tool & die related positions.

#14 ·
tunp said:
I know Griener industries is looking for people, they are located in elizabethtown, 25 min commute from harrisburg.
http://www.greinerindustries.com/index.php
Thanks. I checked out their website, but they are looking for more hands-on kind of help (welders/pipe-fitters/fabricators). I'm in the engineering/design (CAD/CAM/CAE) area.

#16 ·
kenrok1 said:
check out eatonjobs.com ~ we often hire in this field

also city-data.com is a good site for location info
Thanks, I will check those out.

#17 ·
#18 ·
bighoss said:
yoda the wife works at an architecture firm that always seems to be looking for CAD peeps. not to sure about how your skills apply to this field, but they have an office in harrisburg...based in NJ

http://www.eiassociates.com/

http://www.eiassociates.com/employment.htm
I will definitely check that out. Getting out of the automotive industry would be excellent.

EDIT: I checked out the employment opportunities and there seems to be some that I might qualify for. I will probably send in my resume tonight. Thanks.

#19 ·
ill ask this evening about it... shes part of the hiring pimps so i can get you resume to the right folks

#20 ·
send it along however she mentioned that the harrisburg office just hired 3 CAD designers... but that they always are looking for them. The main office is NJ, so im not sure how the job postings are listed. meaning im not certain what physical location they pertain to really.

#21 ·
bighoss said:
send it along however she mentioned that the harrisburg office just hired 3 CAD designers... but that they always are looking for them. The main office is NJ, so im not sure how the job postings are listed. meaning im not certain what physical location they pertain to really.
The website didn't have much info about the positions other than the titles. Should I just send it to the email address listed on the website, or is there a different address that I should send it to?

#23 ·
I just wanted to thank all of you that responded. I appreciate your help. I haven't heard anything official yet, but I will be sure to let you guys know if I end up in your area.

Take care and ride safe.

Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.