Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just wanted to get other people opinion. I am looking at a 2003 ducati monster 800 S.I.E with 5200 miles on it. The asking price is 4500. The tail has been chopped, it does have bar mirrors, and a tank bag.

Per NADA and KBB this seems to be a good price (especially since KBB and NADA assume that it has 20,000 miles).

I am going to take the bike to a ducati dealer before I purchase to get a quick run though.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It is a good price. Just make everything is working fine, no dents on the tank (which are a pain to repair), etc.

The 620s of the same year are going for around that price... The thing is, since the S2R came out, demand for the older 800 diminished.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Sounds like a fair price as long as it has been maintained well. You will have the 6000 mile service coming up on it so you will need to factor that in as well.

What part of town are you in? Advanced Motorsports should be able to give the bike a good look over.

Good luck! [thumbsup]

Swanny

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Sounds Good.. Get it checked out if you are not familiar with bikes in general or Ducs overall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in Allen but the bike is in fort worth. I called eurosport cycles and they were very nice.

They told me that it could cost around 500 - 600 dollars to get the bike serviced (which included new belts, plugs, fuel and air filter, and to check the fluids).

The seller also needed the bike to get inspected and wanted me to pay for that ,which he told me was 100.00.

He also didn't have the red key and after speaking with eurosport cycles they advised never to buy a bike without the red key.

So this bike now has an additional 600 - 700 dollar immediate cost on top of what he was asking for it.

So I declined.

The bikes in great shape so if anyone on here is interested I don't mind passing along the information.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
For what its worth, inspection on my Suzuki is usually 12-15 bucks...

I think you did well by passing this up, sounds fishy.

André

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
AndreRA3 said:
For what its worth, inspection on my Suzuki is usually 12-15 bucks...

I think you did well by passing this up, sounds fishy.

André
good advice, and I agree... unless maybe you wanted to track it.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Good Job RedPanther!
As the others have said - fishy
and I think the state mandates a certain price for an inspection - certainly not $100.00!
... maybe that was 100 Lira in a devalued Italian market...
Stick with us..we won't severely mess with ya til we know ya
...but watch out...! ;D

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Yeah, I hate to smack someone I don't know who's selling a bike but I'm sticking with my mates on this one. There is no such thing as a $100 inspection sticker, unless you're the one being stuck! I'd bounce off AMS if you want the bike checked out, not knocking others, but I have no experience with them so I can't say good or bad. Just positive things galore about AMS and I think the mob will back me up. I would wonder hard about this deal before I moved forward and I welcome the seller to 'splane himself on this board regarding the fuzzy details. We're friendly but fair... and harshfully truthful. Bring it on!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
fastwin said:
Yeah, I hate to smack someone I don't know who's selling a bike but I'm sticking with my mates on this one. There is no such thing as a $100 inspection sticker, unless you're the one being stuck! I'd bounce off AMS if you want the bike checked out, not knocking others, but I have no experience with them so I can't say good or bad. Just positive things galore about AMS and I think the mob will back me up. I would wonder hard about this deal before I moved forward and I welcome the seller to 'splane himself on this board regarding the fuzzy details. We're friendly but fair... and harshfully truthful. Bring it on!

So... does this mean I'm a member of The Mob?!? [laugh]

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
RedPanther et al
Hey Red... I think this the bike you found on Craigs List
[email protected]
Just in case any of the mob is interested to stay away from this seller or... >:D

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hello all-

Just wanted to weigh in with a slightly contrarian thought...
It seems to me the board has been quick to judge.
Do we really have all the info we need to make these judgements?
The bike is priced below market value. I've read there are ways around the "red key" issue.
I'm wondering if the $100. is for someone like AMS to do an inspection. The buyer always pays for an independent inspection.
If AMS says bike's straight, working well, no damage, clean title, it might be a good deal. Could be some miscommunication?
Do you love the bike? Have you seen it in person? Ridden it?
You said the bike's in great shape?? Why not offer a bit less on the condition it passes AMS approval???
Just my .02
keep us posted-

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They bike had no dents. The seller wouldn't let me ride it but did ride it for me. (He said that his friends in the past have been burned on letting strangers riding the bike and dropping it).

After all that was said and done, I didn't want to pay the additional service fee upfront to get the 6000 mile service, and didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of not having the red key.

The seller was nice in answering all my questions. I did offer less but didn't get a response so after all that was said and done, I figured I would wait to buy the "perfect" bike for me.

I have an Aprilia right now that I am riding so I am not in a rush. And I guess I need to concentrate on selling my four legged rides as well.

So if anyone's in the market for some horses, I have plenty. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts