Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm a new rider. I currently have a 2009 Ninja 650r with about 350 miles on it. When I first looked at bikes I wanted a naked bike. The Mosnter is my ideal bike. I bought the Ninja because of the price. Now I'm having buyer's remorse.

I really want the Monster 696. What's holding me back?
1. the feeling that I should put more miles on my first bike before buying my ideal bike
2. lack of a gas gauge (minor thing, I know)
3. crushed nuts

So I'm looking around the site to get a feel for whether it's the awesome bike I think it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't blame you for wanting one. Monsters are awesome bikes.

If you're just getting started and have a brand new bike then I would personally wait before getting into another one. The kawi is great and I say just go ride it for the summer. Figure out if you're still hooked on riding and then consider getting the monster. Of course if money is no concern just buy it and ride the hell out of both ;D

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't say money is no concern, so I wouldn't keep both. I got an insane rebate on the Ninja, so after trade-in I'll only lose about $500 believe it or not.

My plan is to ride down there today and see how all the numbers add up, and to get a better feel for it. I'll know what to do after that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In that case do the trade!

I wouldn't worry about the fuel gauge. You get pretty good mileage out a tank and get used to memorizing the mileage when you last filled it up. Plus the reserve will carry you pretty far from the time the low fuel light turns on.

The seat is actually very comfortable when riding. In town though there is definitely a case of monster balls, but I hear that is easily solved with the DP touring seat.

Good luck.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's official. I am now a new Ducati Monster owner. I got the 696 in red.

The ride there was fun. The ride home was interesting. I had to get a feel for it. I coud not find neutral to save my life at first (it's a good thing my life didn't depend on it). This bike is much different from the Ninja. It growls and vibrates. It wants to be around 4k rpm. By the time I got home, it was light and easy, almost an extension of myself. I love it!

·
Registered
138 Posts
You probably found this out already, but gearing down a bit (14t cog over 15t stock) helps the engine perform better at lower RPMs. I used to lurch between 1st & 2nd all over town before the swap, then presto! smooth operator. I think I can drop as low as 2,500 RPM's without too much shudder now (so long as I'm carrying some momentum). Good mod. No chain links need be removed, so it's a snap to do.

·
Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep reading that on this site, but I don't know if I would need it. I ride the bike just fine. All it takes is some clutch and throttle control.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts