Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 75 mile ride and noticed some motor oil pooled up over the top of the transmission behind the vertical cylinder head (2002 620) (actually, I noticed the smoke from the oil, which prompted me to look...)

I'm not sure if it's from the gasket, or the breather. Here are some pics:

Any ideas? I'm not too concerned with leaking oil per se, unless it leaks on the track of my rear wheel and makes me fall...

Can the breather leak that much oil in one ride? it was all over the bottom of the trans. casing and on the exhaust pipe as well... (that's where the smoke came from). Did a search and I see that it's sort of a common problem. I cleaned it all off and will see how bad it's leaking while sitting/running.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ditto. clean the area well and run the bike. if you still can't determine where the leak is coming from, clean, sprinkle area with baby powder, run.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm.. baby powder. Hadn't thought of that. It's a great idea... I'll try it.

Looks like rain here tomorrow, so I'll wait until Tuesday then run her again to see what happens...

I'll update this as I find out more..

Thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
wow. For a minute there I thought someone posted the pictures of my bike! I have the same exact leak and took pictures almost identicle to yours. The diagnosis from people I have talked to is gasket. My bike is a 01 M750 (dark).

I've been told by a few that this is a common problem. Luckly, I'm under warranty, so now that it's nice and frigid, in to the shop she goes! Now I just have to find a trailer it's 8 degrees today with 6 inches of the white stuff... I think its going to be a little while before I ride. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah... it's a gasket leak for sure. I cleaned it all up, and have been keeping an eye on it. The leak is VERY slow, so on short rides, it's not a problem...

But I took her for a long ride last weekend, 200 miles south, and back the next day... it has lost about a third of a quart over 400 miles through the leak. it's just oily and nasty right now.

I'm under warranty still as well, and am waiting for a few rainy days to take her in. Until then, I'm going to keep riding...

We'll see what they say... I'm concerned with it coming back again and again, if it's a design 'feature' (read: flaw) that causes the gasket to go, or if it was a bad gasket, or poor assembly.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealer just confirmed the base gasket leak.. part is 'on order'.. will not get bike back until late next week.. (took her in Monday).

and the weather is going to be nice all week too... :(

now what's that law about how much time a vehicle spends in the shop for warranty repair?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If it's a slow leak, why'dja have to leave it 'till the part comes in?

Ride the mofo 'till the shop calls you and says the part's in!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Dealer just confirmed the base gasket leak.. part is 'on order'.. will not get bike back until late next week.. (took her in Monday).

and the weather is going to be nice all week too... :(

now what's that law about how much time a vehicle spends in the shop for warranty repair?
mine was leaking that bad. i rode it that way for about 4 months. git yer bike back and bring it in when the parts arrive.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I know this won't help for this time, but I always keep extra base gaskets (for a 900) in my tool box "just in case". I rarely use them though because you can just regoop the old ones with silicone (or whatever your favorite sealer is) & reuse them.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Not sure about the air-cooled jobies. But this was a big warranty issue with the S4. There is an oil galley in the cases that is not used on the S4 rear cylinder. The fix is to thread a gooped-up plug into the passage.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The leak has actually gotten a bit worse since I first noticed it.. I went on a long ride last weekend (about 200 + miles) and it was getting everywhere.. I guess the wind was blowing it back on everything.. not that I use it much, my rear brake would not work at all (had oil on it..)

I'll just leave it in there until they take care of it... I probably wouldn't ride it much, or wouldn't get a lot enjoyment out of it if I have to watch the oil makd a mess of things anyway. Puts on a nice smoke show at stop lights when the oil drips on the exhaust headers.. Can't have the Duc looking like that in the public eye!

G

·
Smart move on all counts. Of course it's a safety issue as far as your brakes and rear tire go, but I also applaud you for not wanting the public to see a smoking foul-running Duc. Good job!Hope you get it back quickly and have many trouble-free miles.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The leak has actually gotten a bit worse since I first noticed it.. I went on a long ride last weekend (about 200 + miles) and it was getting everywhere.. I guess the wind was blowing it back on everything.. not that I use it much, my rear brake would not work at all (had oil on it..)

I'll just leave it in there until they take care of it... I probably wouldn't ride it much, or wouldn't get a lot enjoyment out of it if I have to watch the oil makd a mess of things anyway. Puts on a nice smoke show at stop lights when the oil drips on the exhaust headers.. Can't have the Duc looking like that in the public eye!
well, mine was not leaking that bad.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Is this a problem on all air cooled mosters?? I haven't had mine on a long run yet, only 1500 miles on it total. My warranty will be up in November. I guess I'd better thrash on it some to see if it will show up.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
it seems to be a problem on '01 and newer air cooled monsters (gasket design change) and the S4. it far from affects all the bikes and usually appears during the warranty period. don't worry, be happy and ride safe!

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got my Duc back earlier today... the gasket leak has been fixed.

Covered under warranty were:

- 1 Cyl. Case gasket
- 1 'O' Ring
- 1 Seal Ring
- 1 Gudgeon Elastic Ring
- 5.1 hours of labor

I lost the use of my bike for 10 days... but hey, I got her back!.. And she's mine... all mine!

Hopefully the next visit will be for the 6000 mile service... (I'm at 5350 miles now..)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I got my bike in for the same thing. It was already being worked on for a crash, so perhaps that's why they quoted me 3 hours labor.

I'm scared that they are doing this, but they make it sound like a no brainer. I'll see how much it costs when I get it back, and let you all know

1 - 20 of 24 Posts