Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst reassembling my vertical cylinder onto the piston, I executed this fine maneuver:

Just in case you don't recognise it straightaway, that's my oil ring.
Never did like cast-iron oil rings.......

Anybody happen to have one or know a dealer that's got a replacement? 94mm bore, S4......:'( :'( :'(
-------------------------------------------------------------
This caps off what has been an extremely bad month. Good thing it's nearly over. As long as my house doesn't burn down in the next 2 hours, I'll eventually get over it.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Just Scr&wed The Pooch...Any Suggestions?

Thanks, Scott. They do have a good rep for stocking parts.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

ouch. did ya use a ring spreader? i watched a guy
crack every single compression ring on a datsun 510
by trying to put them on w/o a spreader.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Actually, I was trying to get the cylinder onto the piston.

Not much lead-in chamfer on the bottom of the barrel, and access is a bit tough due to the cylinder studs and frame. Combined with drastically underestimating the fragility of the ring....

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Pooch Partially Unscr&wed...To Be Continue

Called every Duc dealer I could find this morning:
ECS GP
Spectrum ProItalia
Beverly Hills Salt Lake Motorsports
SoCal Ducati Seattle
Oceanside Advanced Motorsports (texas)

Nobody had a set of S4 rings in stock. Mind you, AFAIK, they also fit 916's. Astounding ??? BTW, they're about $150 for a ringset for 1 piston.........to put it mildly, I was pretty well crushed.

I had called Scott Waters at MotoServicio early in the morning, and left a message on his machine, saying I needed some parts for my S4.

He called me back, had a pair of used oil rings, $20 out the door.

AND, he loaned me his Snap-On ring compressor. Only wanted a $40 deposit. I nearly passed out from shock. He doesn't know me from Jack Sprat, yet he was willing to go the extra mile. I'm monumentally impressed.

A 'Big Thanks' to Tom/Infoage for having the presence of mind to suggest Scott Waters. In my befuddled state, it didn't even occur to me.

·
Registered
796 Posts

Sounds like good Karma coming back to you.

·
Registered
445 Posts

I'll second that good karma call. If anyone deserves it, you do. Good luck with that one man. I hope you'll get 'er going again before I have to go away for a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts

Chad it sounds like they got you for the third strike! You are planning to come back, yes?

Scott

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Pooch Completely Unscr&wed...Film at Eleve

Amazing how easy things are with the right tools....

Aforementioned ring compressor worked perfectly. Big parts are all installed, just the little parts are left on the bench. Plenty of those, tho....

My 'props' to Scott Waters. Saved my bacon Big Time. :)
Helluva nice guy.

Scott Waters @ Moto Servicio
2698 Junipero Ave. #117
Signal Hill, CA. 90755
Wk: 562/981-0911

Bike will run tonight, I've got to leave for camping at SongDog tomorrow AM.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts

A 'Big Thanks' to Tom/Infoage for having the presence of mind to suggest Scott Waters. In my befuddled state, it didn't even occur to me.
Yeah, that was an inspired idea. I thought he might have some old 916 stuff around. Glad it worked out.

G

·

AND, he loaned me his Snap-On ring compressor. Only wanted a $40 deposit. I nearly passed out from shock. He doesn't know me from Jack Sprat, yet he was willing to go the extra mile. I'm monumentally impressed.
If you get the urge to meet the real one I'll take you to his house in San Diego... been friends with his daughter since high school. He's a bad MF'er too. 30 years in the Navy, Vietnam PT-boat gunner, worked with the Seals, a man's man. Let me know, I'll set it up... ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts