Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Pondering a Sport/Tourer. Perhaps a Used ST4S

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  M3-SRT8 
#1 ·
In the Groups opinion, which are the most desirable ST4S, in terms of years built, optional equipment, etc.

What would I expect to pay for a nice used example?

LJB 8)

PS: I took out an '07 HD Road King for a demo ride. What a slug...

#3 ·
The ST4S is a proper sports tourer, unlike the MTS and ST3. It has a 916-996 motor for chrissake! And Ohlin's!

I rode a 2000 a while back, I certainly had no complaints. That was with the original 916 motor, the newer ones have more grunt. Great engine, loves to rev, but not much low end power (same in my SBK). Handling wasn't really special but it wasn't cause for concern. It certainly wasn't a pig. Considering how comfy it was (by my standards anyway) I was impressed with its capabilities.

#6 ·
Do some checking and see if the 996 bikes have the same poor fuel mileage as the S4R Monsters.
My S4 gets way better mileage than an S4R.

Of course, it depends if riding range is a concern to you.

#7 ·
NeufUnSix said:
The ST4S is a proper sports tourer, unlike the MTS and ST3. It has a 916-996 motor for chrissake! And Ohlin's!
I somewhat disagree. The ST3 just won Sport Rider's sport-touring comparison test in their December issue. They were very complimentary, and they called the desmotre motor "outstanding", and noted that it doesn't have the "notchy injection and abrupt delivery" of the 4-valve mill in the ST4. They "easily prefer" the ST3 motor over the 4-valve ST4 mill...

I've only driven the ST4s, so I have no FHE on how much better (or not?) the ST3 motor would be. But the ST3 has Ohlins suspension and appears to be quite a nice evolutionary step for the ST series. The ST3 would be the "new" bike I'd recommend for ya M3.

The only MTS I've driven is a 1000ds, and it was enjoyable. The motor (shared with the S2R1k) has a very flat torque curve and the bike would make a great, comfortable commuter and every-day ride. But I wouldn't classify the MTS as a sport-tourer, and I think I'd prefer an ST bike for longer distances anyway.

I've recently shopped the used market for ST's, and I found some very gently used 2002 ST2's (with the 944 mill) for less than $7500. Tough to beat that kind of value for the $$ on an ST.

#8 ·
I've been wondering about an ST3s ABS as a second bike, and all of my research points toward the ST3 as the next (improved) step beyond the ST4 (the consensus being that the ST3 was so good out of the box that Ducati was going "guess we're done making those ST4 bikes"). Some of the folks who have ridden them back to back usually say that the 3-valve engine has combined the best of the 2-valve (torque) and 4-valve (RPM range and smoothness).

I'm planning on heading down the hill to ProItalia tomorrow (if the weather holds) to see if I'm hooked again.

Ken

#9 ·
ducatania said:
Best year for the ST4S was probably the '05 model for the use of a wet clutch. Quieter, smoother and longer lasting than a dry clutch. Less likely to get the 996 flaking rockers as well by then.

Yeah, I'm thinking of an '05 ST4S. I assume ABS is an option. What would you pay for a low mileage cream puff?

LJB

#10 ·
I guess I'm a bit of a masochist because I'll be damned if my Duc is going to have a wet clutch and a smooth powerband... Besides, an eprom, 14t front, and some pipes will fix any power issues with the 916-996 mill. Just a thought. I just love that motor so much I wouldn't consider anything else. And if the Desmotre is so good, why hasn't it showed up in any other models...? ;)

#11 ·
#12 ·
I just picked up a 2002 ST4s - the thing is just awesome.

Here's a thread with a ton of info that helped me make my decision:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=56933.0

[thumbsup]

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'd go for a 2002 or 2003 - really starting to like the dry clutch "sports" bias.
But you can't really go wrong with anything in the line.

Also: get the 996 engine ST4s. I promise you won't regret it. These bikes are just awesome, and hugely underappreciated.

#13 ·
NeufUnSix said:
And if the Desmotre is so good, why hasn't it showed up in any other models...? ;)
What are you talking about, the Desmotre is in every sport-touring bike that Ducati makes! ;) My neighbor and I had a similar discussion this afternoon (he rides a super sport), and best we can figure there's no need to put the motor in any other bike because there aren't any other bikes like this (i.e. bikes that need the compromise of torque and revs and can't decide on 2v or 4v power). Unlike Harley, Ducati seems to fit the engine to the need, not the "one size fits all" way of thinking. What is a shame is how little we hear about the ST3 and ST4, most folks don't even know that Ducati makes sport-touring bikes (compare the ST3 press with what you see about the multistrada).

Ken

#14 ·
#16 ·
OK, here's the latest...

I visited a local Ducati Dealership, and they had a, '04 ST4S abs with 7200 miles, nice shape for sale.

I rode it, I LOVE it...

It's Grey, I want Red. It comes with the Rear Panniers.

He will sell it to me for $10,995, perform the 6K Service No Charge, and include the Ducati Factory 2 Year Warranty. He said he bought the bike from Ducati, so he can sell it as a new bike.

Good Deal?

LJB 8)

#17 ·
If it has 7200 miles and still no 6k service, that aspect of the deal is of little value. When you buy a Ducati anything less than the required service is unacceptable. I think it's too much being that brand new ST3s with ZERO miles were going for $12500 past few months. I would expect to pay about 8-9. Goto eBay and see what they have closed at in recent auctions...that's your true street value.

-micko

#18 ·
ST3s will be used bikes by the time I'm able to talk my wife into letting me get one. ST4s will be vintage bikes by then...

I'm likin' the desmotre bike a lot and frankly, am not put off by the wet clutch. The open clutch is great for my Hoolie bike and would be great on a SBK, but for a tourer, I'll happily live with the wet. Hell, I'd even consider a shaftie if you could get a good one weighing in under 500 lbs.

#19 ·
'02 ST4S for three years and loving it. Just take care of the battery though. I would look at '03 if you like the old style front fairing or the '04 for the new fairing and still have the dry clutch. I don't know if you can put a slipper clutch on a Ducati wet clutch but you may not be interested in doing that.

I have an M800 with a wet clutch. Less noise ok but what if I wanted to lighten the flywheel, I'd also like to put a slipper clutch in that case but I'd have to convert to a dry clutch then modify. So, I recently bought a used M1000 for many reasons includung the fact that it has a dry clutch. The M800 is for sale. That's just me.

#20 ·
If I buy used, I'm leaning towards an '05 ST4s because it has a wet clutch. Not manditory, though. If I find an earlier '02-'04, low mileage, cream puff, red or yellow, at the right price, I'll spring for it.

Winter's coming. Lot's of bikes coming off the road. Plenty of time to ponder. Someone will be hungry to sell...

LJB 8)

#21 ·
Oh, by the way, the reason for the ST Purchase is because I do a lot of weekend high mileage touring, and it's COLD on that '06 S2R.

I need a comfy, but capable, sport/tourer. Hence the ST Series pondering...

LJB 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.