Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Which mod is *more* essential? Please share your thoughts on why.

• Better brakes (radial)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rear suspension

• Steering damper

• Clip-ons

Poll: Please help me decide my next mod - Brakes, Suspension, Damper, Clip-ons

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MonsterDuc 
#1 ·
1. Brembo radial brakes?
I heard that '06 S2R 800 brakes have room for improvement i.e. radial brembos are better. If true, can someone qualify/quantify how much they are better (example: 30% stronger stopping power)?

2. When it comes to performance riding, my understanding is that suspension is critical. So how much improvement can I expect from an upgrade e.g. Ohlin from the stock '06 S2R Sach mono shocks? If I take my S2R to a track, will I see a huge difference? How about front suspension upgrade? I know this is a very subjective question, but appreciate your feedback.

3. Steering damers
From safety perspective, they are important. But so is having better brakes. Your thoughts?

4. Clip-ons
I think ergonomics are lower on the *essential* factor. But, taking cost factor into the comparison, it maybe worth it.

Again, appreciate all opinions, speculations, and thoughts.

#2 ·
Which S2R do you have? I'm assuming since you mentioned suspension, you have the non-adjustable 800. So, with that in mind:

1. Unless you're really good, I'm sure the current brakes outbrake the rider.

2. Before you go up-grading your suspension, money's prolly better spent on having the current suspension set to your weight. Whether that be adjusting it or having the forks redone.

3. I've heard they're lifesavers for wheelies. But, I know a lot of people never have the need for one.

4. Ergonomics should be high on the list. Being ccomfortable and in the right position on the bike inspires confidence. Clip-ons and rear sets will help to this end.

5. Have you considered using the money for a track school (i.e. cornerspeed)?

#3 ·
Re: Poll: Please help me decide my next mod - Brakes, Suspension, Damper, Clip-o

• I have the S2R 800
  • I often ride two up, and that is why I sometimes feel like I need stronger brakes.
  • I am 5'-10", and 160 lbs. Any thoughts on if the stock suspension setup needs significant adjustment for me?
  • I have relatively longer arms, so I was initially thinking about going for Clip-ons. Based on your feedback, I am leaning towards this direction.
  • Can you share some more details on why or how you were uncomfortable? This is my first bike so I haven't developed a preference for a particular ergo design. And, my body doesn't ache after an hour ride, so I must be setup OK -- although when I lower my head, I think my arms bend too much.

Thanks much for your feedback! Learn something new everyday. ;D

#4 ·
I had an 05 S2R800.

I used to bring the girl cupcake all the time. Brakes still held up fine. You're going to have an increased brake distance from adding the extra weight no matter what brakes you have. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm 6'2 200#. For you, the stock's probably pretty close to what it was designed for. But, it couldn't hurt to spend a bit and find a good mechanic to set it specifically for you (with gear on) and maybe add a bit of weight since you ride 2-up quite often.

It was my first bike. So, all ergo stuff I learned from trial and error. I found when I was leaned over, I prefered to tuck my arms in and not chicken wing them (and, I have long arms). I did this when up and city riding as much as possible as well. Also, with the stock bars, having the arms tucked in helped with hand position.

#5 ·
Re: Poll: Please help me decide my next mod - Brakes, Suspension, Damper, Clip-o

stik,

I would get your suspension checked, I think your size is spot on for the factory settings, but have it checked.
You could get a few buddies together to do this, or bring it in. This past summer I did the Lee Parks ARC course upstate, and this was part of the curriculum for the day. Mine was the only bike out of our small group of 6 that properly set. [thumbsup] Terry came with me, I bought it for him. I was worried that he wasnt going to learn anything as he has been riding for 20 years. He was suprised at how much he learned as well!

I think you should look into this class. It was alot of valuable information packed into one day! The course is geared as a step between the advanced MSF course and a track day. I strongly suggest you take the class next spring when available, it's worth the money!! It's offered up in Poughkeepsie and Troy, NY.

My CC rear-sets were probably my fav piece of functional bling. But that is because I'm short, and I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, so I could adjust my rearsets to my liking. The CC clip-ons also are adjustable and also made me feel more connected to the bike.

#6 ·

Hey Steve,
I'm not voting here, cause what I'm recommending ain't up there.

Take the Lee Parks class. You'll get A LOT more out of it. Specifically since they'll help you set up your suspension and give you the knowledge to know how you can better set it up in the future.... you'll then know exactly what you want/need.

Michelle got this for me this past summer and it was a hell of a treat!

Not to mention it will dramatically increase your riding ability. And seeing as you are a new rider, this is probably the best mod/money you can spend right now.

I've often told people the same question when they ask me "what XXXX should I get" I almost always recommend taking rider classes to improve ones abilities. IMHO it's a far better investment.

Best of luck with what ever you choose.

#7 ·

Thanks Terry and Michelle for your comments!
I have been itching to get to a riding class that will help me ride better ;) and this is definitely on TOP of my list for the Spring.

#9 ·

I've already spent 1000's of $$$ on proper gear ...
I am still leaning heavily towards clip-ons for various reasons -- including the ones from this thread.

#10 ·
Okay,here's my $0.02.As a owner of a S2R8 also,if your buget will allow for suspension all around go for it(penske,ohlins,elka...).Something with a remote preload for two-up rides would be good.As for the brakes you can get a few pairs of pads for a total of $60.00 or so.This will help also.Clip-ons and dampers are IMO not important at this point. [thumbsup]

#12 ·
Here's my $ .02:

1. Take a performance riding course

2. Clip-ons. I have an S2R also and it is my streetbike. However, in August, the Desmo Owners Club out here ran a promotion for a $20 trackday for Ducati riders, so I brought my Monster (instead of my trackbike). At that trackday, I was longing for clip-ons more than anything else on your list.

3. Suspension work. As a whole, I feel this is where the bike lacks the most but at your weight, I think the right riding position at the track supercedes the suspension work...but just barely.

4. Brakes. Having ridden the same track with both my bikes I was able to compare and contrast their differences and braking differences were noticable. The TLR just brakes much harder than the S2R. On the track is the only time I found the brakes on the Monster lacking. That said, I still was able to outbrake some sportbike riders who surely had much more braking power in reserve and for whatever reason, were not using it.

As for the steering damper, I wouldn't even bother with it on an S2R. I have never experienced headshake on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.