Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Please share your thoughts on how effective the windscreen has worked for you in reducing air drag,

• Essential & very functional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only at highway speeds

• Streetfighter doesn't need a windscreen

• What windscreen?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
i didnt keep mine on long enough to tell the difference. I like it this way, wind doesnt bother me too much...

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I have tried the stock one and the Zero Gravity touring screen. Neither one does anything but create more wind roar. I have a S4R with Multistrada handguards and one inch chopped off of each end of the Magura bars which may alter the aerodynamics somewhat. I have gone back and forth in the same day and it has not affected my stability, high speed capability, or drag felt on my upper body. With the windhield off I can hit an indicated 155 on the speedo and ride without ear plugs.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
mihama01 said:
Driving around town, I am not sure the screen is much use but on the freeway it is a necessity. As standard it flaps around so I purchased some stays to hold it rigid.
Same here. I installed some of the poorducrider fairing stays, and it makes a HUGE difference in the stability of the screen when on the highway.

Personally, I like the look of the windscreen, and I sense that it diverts some of the wind pressure away from my chest (I'm 6'4"). Overall, though, I doubt that the windscreen makes a huge difference in the overall aerodynamic "drag" on the bike. Naked bikes are pretty inefficient overall, and that little screen likely has little impact (positive or negative).

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
It's great for riding through the rain cause you can kinda tuck behind it. Even though I wear a full face helmet, it still keeps the rain from pelting me in the neck and chest.

PLUS..............it's great for mounting my SunPass. Not sure if every State has them though. It's the little device used to automatically pay tolls so you don't have to stop when you're on your bike, you just ride right through. Anybody else have this?

Tom

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
I am naked fanatic ;D.

So I removed mine, but I do reinstall it for 200mi+ days. I am 5'11" and I can get out of the wind by putting one of my elbow on the tank.

I am hoping to modify the stock windscreen by adding a little lip at the top and on each side by the bars to deflect just a little more.

Q

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
good at highway speeds only. with it on, wind blast to the head. without, get hit right on the chest. and it is good for cramming your sunpass/ezpass/whatevertheycallitinyourstate in between it and the gauge cluster.

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
Just noticed that my mileage is much lower without the windscreen

all measured during commute, same route, similar traffic.

I used to get ~150 a fill up

I am down to ~125 w/o the windscreen.

Q

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I ride a 695 no windscreen and test rode an different Monster with a windscreen to see if I liked it. I did notice that you still get blasted unless you are tucked, but it does seem to straighten out the bike a bit. You don't bounce around quite as much. That is both on the highway and city driving over 35 mph. I think I am going to buy one, but only use it when I am taking a longer ride, since I like the look without it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts