Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any experiences would also be much appreciated.

Just got charged $1000 for a 12k mile service from ProItalia (although the quote over phone was $850) on a M620. Got quoted $917 from BH Ducati over phone.
The FAQ on the MonsterBoard said $550-$700 for 12k service.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi JsprZ,

If it helps, I just got done with my 12k maintenance today and the whole thing costed me $868 with parts and labor. Details of my bike are in the sig. This is the whole invoice broken down:

Job: 12k mile service
parts: 163.97 (lots of parts listed here)
labor 5.5 hours $441.00 (-1 hour for no valve adjust)

Descriptions:
VALVE ADJUSTMENT, CAM BELT REPLACEMENT, THROTTLE BODY SYNC ./ADJUSTMENT, AIR FILTER CHANGE, OIL +FILTER CHANGE, CHAIN ADJUSTMENT, FLUIDS CHECK / TOP OFF, NUT BOLT+ CHECK, SET TIRE PRESSURE + FULL SAFTEY CHECK

Job: Replace rear break pads

parts: $30
labor 0.25 hours $24.50

Job : Replce drive chain
parts: $124.95
labor: .5 hours $49.00

They told me I saved some money because my valves were fine but had to pay a little extra to replace the chain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
BH ducati is really nice, the parts guy greg is really helpful. Josh is a doosh though and the service guy thinks he's cool too, as far as service goes there is this place on lincoln called moto GP i think thats what it is called, they have the best maintenance rates for ducs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi JsprZ,

If it helps, I just got done with my 12k maintenance today and the whole thing costed me $868 with parts and labor. Details of my bike are in the sig. This is the whole invoice broken down:

parts: 163.97 (lots of parts listed here)
labor 5.5 hours $441.00 (-1 hour for no valve adjust)

Descriptions:
VALVE ADJUSTMENT, CAM BELT REPLACEMENT, THROTTLE BODY SYNC ./ADJUSTMENT, AIR FILTER CHANGE, OIL +FILTER CHANGE, CHAIN ADJUSTMENT, FLUIDS CHECK / TOP OFF, NUT BOLT+ CHECK, SET TIRE PRESSURE + FULL SAFTEY CHECK

Job: Replace rear break pads

parts: $30
labor 0.25 hours $24.50

Job : Replce drive chain
parts: $124.95
labor: .5 hours $49.00

They told me I saved some money because my valves were fine but had to pay a little extra to replace the chain.
thats a really good deal. i wish i knew that before i decided not to buy another ducati because everyone wants to rape me for mainence costs. i'm gonna buy a jap bike as soon as insurance pays for my "totaled" monster...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had work done at both shops. Both were expensive, but did a fine job. If you are looking to save some bills, then look elsewhere. There are plenty of alternatives.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got my bike back from ProItalia

Description: Oil service, Replace Oil Filter, Timing Belts, Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, Throttle Sync, Air Cleaner, Front and Rear Brake and Clutch Hydraulics Flush, Check Chain, Check Pressures, Check Valves

Did not need any brake pads/rotors. Did not need new chain.

Parts Total: $ 285
5.5 Hr Labor: $ 654

TOTAL: $ 939

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow, you know i would pay for a good amount of stuff if i went to school for motorcycle mechanics instead of cars... soo much better labor wages.... thats about $118 an hour for the 12k service

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah I just got my bike back from Pro Italia too (12K service), but they found issues with a valve seat and ended up costing me almost $1300 because they had to take the whole engine apart. It could've been worse, i guess! The kicker is when I asked about accessories they didn't even offer me any kind of discounts for repeat business. hmmm....i might have to look elsewhere for shops that appreciate repeat business!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let us know if you find a good shop!

I'm open to trying new places for the next time my bike needs service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any experiences would also be much appreciated.

Just got charged $1000 for a 12k mile service from ProItalia (although the quote over phone was $850) on a M620. Got quoted $917 from BH Ducati over phone.
The FAQ on the MonsterBoard said $550-$700 for 12k service.
I'm Ed Stewart, the service manager for Pro Italia, and I would like to provide a more complete picture.

This customer's service totaled $966.83, not $1,000. He had called for a quote when our old labor rate was in effect, and brought in his bike after the new rate went into effect. Since I can't change the rate on the computer, we didn't charge him for any of the 7 shims used ($109.85 in free shims).

We also successfully diagnosed a turn signal malfunction that another repair facility had not only failed to diagnose, but had charged him for. This took more than an hour and we did not charge the owner a penny. We also sold him a K&N air filter for well below our cost when we didn't have a stock paper filter due to unavailability from Ducati. The total value of free parts, goodwill labor and parts discount was about $260.00 on this job.

We realize that a major service is a substantial amount of money. We strive to provide both a job well done and good value for all of our customers.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called for a quote on a Wednesday. Dropped off my bike the next day, only to find labor rates went up $20. Overnight change or miss-informed? I dont like surprises, especially not in my wallet near the tune of $200.

When I paid to pick up my bike, I was told a technician had given it a 6 mile test-ride. But when I started up the bike on the street, the odometer had not changed. It was past 6pm and the shop was already closed so I did not go back in. Couple days later I noticed my brake fluid reservoir did not show any sign of fluid, so I wonder if it was topped off? Also, the engine sounds different after I picked it up from Pro Italia compared to times when I picked up the bike after service at BH Ducati. I dont know which one is right, so I'm left wondering and taking my chances.

I really wanted to have a good first experience at Pro Italia, but I have to say it was a rough start for me. I take care of my toys and dont mind paying the bills to maintain it, but I expect at least a sense of consistency in pricing and quality of work. I keep wondering if I should go back to Pro Italia to get my concerns addressed, but my work is busy and the wrench in my garage seems to be the more cost- and time-efficient way to work out any minor kinks. A big thumbs-up to Bill Nation though, the owner of Pro Italia, for personally greeting my girlfriend and I while browsing through his shop.

·
Registered
240 Posts
74 - ProItalia has a point program, 1 point for every $1 spent, which means you would get some credit for that $1300 you just dropped. Go back, registered and claim your points, at least you will get something out of it when you buy your next accessory.

PI charges 119 per hr for service which is twice more than a non-Italian (don't know about BMW but they are probably expensive too) shop. I guess that's the price of ownership.

Interesting thing, I recently bought an owners manual from PI and online the manual listed at $76. Went to the shop and paid only $56. Don't know if there is a walkin price and an online price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
my .02

i had a service done at Pro Italia about a month ago.
its never cheapest at a dealer, but i have to say they were prompt ( I had an appointment), they did everything they said they would do, cost was a couple (just a few) dollars LESS than they originally told me and were super nice.

I have been riding for 30 years, but I am new to Ducati, they gave me some tips on maintenance since i wasn't used to a bike with a chain drive. adjusted a couple of nuisance items for free.

I honestly did not mind paying for this service. I felt like a valued customer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts