Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have any experience with a shop that can do polishing and also one for powdercoating in the valley? I have a few projects and ideas I would like to look into... Low cost is the priority over quality right now, at this phase.

Thanks.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Dietrich said:
Anybody out there have any experience with a shop that can do polishing and also one for powdercoating in the valley? I have a few projects and ideas I would like to look into... Low cost is the priority over quality right now, at this phase.

Thanks.
What parts are you looking to get done?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh c'mon now Nakid, I can't tell you that..... [thumbsup]

I can tell you that it's small stuff, no frames or anything.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Dietrich said:
Oh c'mon now Nakid, I can't tell you that..... [thumbsup]

I can tell you that it's small stuff, no frames or anything.
Well, I have done a bit of polishing aluminum with my bench grinder. I have two different polishing wheels with some polishing compound. I polished the triples on a friend of mine's KTM along with various smaller pieces (like bolt heads, etc.)

It was a cheap initial investment too. PM me if you want...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nakid

Here..... use this... Nice bike then you left the OEM mirror's on.... [laugh]

Chopped the antenna's off [thumbsup]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
07faster said:
Nakid

Here..... use this... Nice bike then you left the OEM mirror's on.... [laugh]

Chopped the antenna's off [thumbsup]
Well, shortly after that pic was taken, I switched to rizoma circuit 998's which were awesome. About a month later a semi took those off for me...

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Tom Hull had a name of a guy who did powdercoating. It seemed fairly cheap priceing too!! Give him a call or email him!! I was going to get my rims done before I left but didn't get a chance.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I have some small engine parts that I want to polish (Nakid- don't be surprised if I get in touch with you, I was looking at getting the tools to do it myself...). The powdercoating would be for small stuff as well. I always hear lines like "my powdercoater" and "my polisher" and was hoping someone could recommend a couple shops be fore I let my fingers do the walking (or clicking these days).

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Polishing is real easy. You just have to be patient. Use a couple different coumpounds, couple different wheels, dremel with some small felt tip for the crevices. It's real cool to see the progress and that you did it yourself...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little bump here.

I am still looking for a shop that can do polishing. Any recomendations? I talked to the Wak Creations painting guy and he has someone that he uses but didn't tell me the name, he runs the parts through his shop durring painting usually.

As for powdercoating, I heard on the southwestrides forum that Arizona Powdercoat had very reasonable prices and does very nice work.

I will be needing tires fairly soon, so I figure that I will be pulling parts for polishing when I ship my spoked wheels to CA to have them sealed so I can get rid of the inner tubes that the Sport Classics use.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it depends how ambitious I get... At a minimum I want to polish the valve covers on the front head (including the oil cooler bracket), and the cam covers on both heads. I also want to finish polishing my chain gaurd (Ducati part, started as brushed aluminum, I got it about halfway polished right now by hand). What I ultimately want to do is have the engine covers polished as well. Not too hard to do myself I guess with the right tools, but it just sems easier to drop it off somehwere and pick up a pile of shiny stuff later. The hardest part about polishing the painted stuff is that under that nice paint job is a really rough metal surface. I did the front valve cover by hand already and it took forever to get all the bumps out. It's still not perfect, but looks OK. Probably a bit easier with a couple power tools involved....but I would be afraid of messing up the mating surfaces of the part and ending up with poor fitting.

I'm usually a DIY'er due to the personal satisfaction and monitary reasons, so not sure exactly why i'm so hung up on finding a shop. I do have some part ideas that I may want to get quantities made up for sale that would need to be polished.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts