Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of polishing my exhaust pipes. I started wondering about maybe having them chromed instead. Is there a definite advantage of one way vs. the other? Maybe some pro's and con's each way? I've already sanded the pipes, but I haven't finish-sanded or buffed them yet.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Do a search on here there was a thread a little while ago about ceramic coating. Someone had some pics of some pipes done by performance coatings. From what they looked like in the pics they do a pretty good job.

And this one makes 50 posts woooohoooo

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just sent my headers out to Performance Coatings. I'm having them done in "satin fresh blast"...It's silver, but not chrome. Actually, I like it better than chrome... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I just sent my headers out to Performance Coatings. I'm having them done in "satin fresh blast"...It's silver, but not chrome. Actually, I like it better than chrome... ;)
I want to do the coating process myself. If you can post some pics when you coat them.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Polishing your stock pipes: The heat of the bike exhaust will discolor them to a light gold with in a few hundred miles. And the uncoated pipe will be subject to rust, in damp areas. A nice look, I have them on my 900SS (in AZ).

Nickel-Chrome (hard chrome): Will stay silver for much much longer and protect the pipes from rust. A million Harley riders can't be wrong!

Both will let the pipes run hotter. Not a real issue unless you race the bike. The factory ceramic coating is to help direct the exhaust heat to the back of the bike.

I have custom double ceramic coating (inside and out) on my Monster...

Good luck on your project!

·
Registered
18 Posts
High Performance Coatings (HPC) in Chandler, AZ have coated the pipes on my Monster and the header on my BMW K1200RS. The Beemer's pipes were done nearly two years ago and they look like the day they were done. I chose their "polished silver" color, but they do black and other colors as well. Ceramic coating inside and out is the way to go. Please DO NOT chrome anything on a monster. . . pox on you if you do!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Chrome is icky.
I didn't know there was any 12 year old girls posting here. [smiley=smartass.gif]

Ducati has had chrome and polished metal on there bikes since they started. The 60's 250 and 350 SSS models had polished tanks and polished aluminum breather casings, not to mention the Chrome M900.

Ceramic coating is great for channeling heat, but "polished silver" ceramic coating isn't a substitute for the look of nickel-chrome. Don't confuse form with function.

Here are the companies I have had work done. I'm sure you could get samples of the ceramic coating color if you ask them.
Source For: Chrome plating
Metro Plating
227 East 10th Drive
Mesa, AZ 85210
(480)833-8453
Source For: Ceramic coating pipes
High Performance Coating (HPC)
6313 West Commonwealth Place
Chandler, AZ 85226
(480)753-1320

I've been Ducati's with 3" shag animal print carpet covering the faring's. When your customizing the look of your bike, screw everyone else's opinion and create something you like. :)

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Polish, chrome is bad Juju on Monsters.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
What's the going price for getting the headers ceramic coated?

M

·
0 Posts
Ducati was legendary for having the worst chroming in the industry for decades...guaranteed to flake and peel within months....I think they pretty much wised up and gave up on chrome as an industrial/manufacturing philosophy with the only recent foray being the Chromo...

personally I would wrap the pipes or polish or paint/coat

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I've been Ducati's with 3" shag animal print carpet covering the faring's. When your customizing the look of your bike, screw everyone else's opinion and create something you like.
Please stop them!!!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
What's the going price for getting the headers ceramic coated?
I paid about $100 + shipping at Performance Coatings for the headers, S-pipes, and flanges.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
94 Posts
I polished my header pipes and the caps of my carbon Termi slip-ons with a buffing wheel, no special prep, just ran them on the wheel with some blue compound. Somebody posted a pic of some polished pipes, and I find they get a nice gold tone instead of the flat brown of unpolished pipes.

I haven't run the bike yet to see how it'll turn out, but the stainless will definitely not rust like cheap pipes.

S

·
0 Posts
chrome them out man...and do your wheels too since you are at it !!!! blin bling bling 1!!!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Chrome (and polished aluminum)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts