Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I still don't have a damn manual for my Monster, but that's besides the point.

I was pulling my plugs the other day (first time), and the 90 deg end came right off the friggin wire. WTF kind of rig up is this Ducati, come on.

So I decided the crappy wires needed to be replaced, off I head to the HiPo shop for materials to make some perfect fit wires. I get back with Accel 8.8 wire and ends to make the goods. Begin to pull the front cylinder wire off, get to the coil, WTF, it's part of the coil? You mean I can't replace this stellar piece of equipment unless I change out the coil. Do these wires come out, or are they really a part of the coil?

I am thinking the DynaCoils are calling me.

R

·
0 Posts
YellowDuck,

I had a wire boot come off of one cylinder on my '99 750 (also Yellow) just like you said. Also Like you I thought about the same modification. My dealer sells the coil and all for $129.00 Incindentilly, a new plug boot does NOT come with the coil/wire set. That an additional $8.00

The good news is-if you don't mind keeping the stock coil/wire (and saving $129.00) is that the boot literally "screws" back into the plug wire-just like driving a screw. You will actually be able to feel it snug up. Thats a Great feeling. Every now and then I will check both boots to see if they have lossened up at all-so far so good. I got good spark and a superbly running Marinara machine!!

Good Luck!!

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Dyna's are nice. Chris has them with new plug wires too. Check him out.

-Patrick

·
Registered
20 Posts
"WTF kind of rig up is this Ducati, come on"
Welcome to the Italian world...parts @ 6mos. plus, "old school" valve system that isn't cool but we Americans buy it, and tons of other stuff my CBR600RR blows away, but man they are "cool"....I agree; someday in the future Ducati will stop living off of their sex appeal and make bikes real people can live with.....Love my Duck and I don't know why, but I do

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get me wrong I love my Duck. But for craps sake, these plug wires are friggin ridiculous.

Thanks Rainman, I will give that a shot. However, I think the Dynas are an inevitability.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love my Duck. But for craps sake, these plug wires are friggin ridiculous.

Thanks Rainman, I will give that a shot. However, I think the Dynas are an inevitability.
It's not just the Ducs that have this problem. Jap bikes do too. I was having a problem with the horizontal cylinder firing today so I checked the plug boot and found it was real loose at the wire. First I tried tightening it but all it did was spin. So I took the boot off the wire and cut about 3/8ths inch off the end of the wire and threaded the boot back on. Now it's much more secure and the horizontal cylinder is firing reliably. ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts