Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a hole in rear tire size of a nail or somthing like that. Still had 90% tread left. Hole was between center and edge. What do you guys think about plugging tire? I have done it before and got full use out of the tire.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I have heard many people that have successfully plugged a tire (from the inside)

and I have and am currently running a tire that is slimed and has held air for 4 months now

so with that I would say do it

on the other hand

in a perfect world where i always have enough money for new tires, I would say pitch it and get a new one.

Money is always the mitigating factor

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All that i have read says you cant slime the tire because of balance issues hows that working for you

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
kaiser552 said:
All that i have read says you cant slime the tire because of balance issues hows that working for you
read that as well

but I haven't noticed anything too off

the tire was pretty worn when I (actually toolfan) did it and I have only used it for commuting for a few hundred miles after that but I haven't noticed any strange vibrations or instability in turns

and it was a very small leak

only lost about 20psi over 10 days

so we only put a small amout of slime in it

if you can see a nail sized hole i would plug it and run it but that is only if you don't want to shell out the cash for a new rear

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I'd plug it.

I've had good luck with plugs on car tires,
and if the plug fails, it'll fail into a leak, not a blow out,
so I don't think it's a safety issue.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Prior to learning of the "danger" of plugging a bike tire I too had one plugged. Front actually - I only had like 200 miles on it. . .

I ran it for nearly 3K before it gave out on me. And it wasn't some explosive disaster of an event. It just kinda got "funny" while riding and I recognized that as a flat tire having experienced it once before. It was a second nail hole!

I didn't like the idea of 2 plugs becuase by that time I had read all of the dangers of plugging a tire so I boought a used one <horror of horrors> at the shop that I ended up getting towed too.

I took the used one to ~9K above whatever was on it - guy said only a few hundred. and then replaced it along with the original rear tire at ~12K.

So I'm not too down on plugging or buying used . . . then again I think I agree with Mother. If you can swing it buy a new one, perhaps plug the 1st for an emergency or temporary back up, and not have any worries . . . oh accept the one everyone told me about with the used tire . . . something about different mileage on the tires causing traction or some other kinds of handling issues - which I never experienced . . .

If you listen to the "experts" you gotta go get 2 new spanking tires :eek:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Im running on a plugged tire. Its just fine. I checked it every day for a while because of the softness of the tire (michelin pilot power) but gave up after the first week or so because it was fine. no handling issues.

Check this out...

New puppy, have to ride home every day to feed it on lunch.. on the way back to work i felt something funny and determined it was a flat.. was on the way to a tire shop when i ran out of gas.. in the hills of north san diego county. what a pain in the arse that was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts