Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my plugs yesterday (2000 750D) and the top metal parts look like they've been spray-painted white. The plugs themselves look brand new (though I'm sure they have about 6,000 miles on them), the electrode is clean and insulator is clean. Just the very tops. Bone dry & flocked white. I could get it off, but this would require a metal brush.

I'm guessing this is a lean condition, though the bike seems to run great. My mix screws are both 3.5 turns out, open box w/ K&N, Stage 2 jets, fully cored (yep, still really loud) exhaust. Clip position on needles is whatever Dynojet recommended.

So here's the question: turn out mix screw more or mess with the needle clip position? I'd really prefer not to have to take the damn carb out again!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Are you saying that the electrode & ground wire are white?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe it is called the ground electrode; the upside-down "L" at the very top of the business end of the plug that is flocked white. The other electrode is clean.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris - I'll give 4 turns out a go. Could I just scrape the white stuff off, or should I replace the plugs? I have a sneaky suspision they weren't replaced at the 10k km interval anyway (new plugs not listed on invoice). Which was 3k miles ago.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
You could do anything really... nothing, scrape `em, or replace them. I love how a good running bike can have essentially "clean" spark plugs.

Note that almost all of street riding is done near closed throttle... so the lower speed settings on carburetors are among the most important. Also compare your economy. You'll likely suffer going from 3.5 -> 4 turns on fuel mix. You can also try 3.75 turns...

:) Chris

Thanks Chris - I'll give 4 turns out a go.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose 5,000 rpm (my personal favorite - it's the hum!) would clean just about anything off. And for fuel economy: $6.50 to fill up the tank doesn't bother me too much. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts