Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's the FI mapping look to you?

'06 S2R 1000, Akra, K&N, PCIII dyno mapped, averages 40-43 mpg, photo's taken after 50 mile "spirited" country ride today.

Left Rear

Right Rear

Left Front

Right Front

·
Registered
799 Posts
Another thing you might want to consider is that (a lot of times) idle mixture will override the mixture everywhere else if you shut the bike off when idling. In other words, the mixture is "imprinted" on the plug so when you turn the bike off when idling you are looking at the mixture of the bike AT IDLE. If you want to do it more accurately try shutting the bike off (and putting in neutral) at different rpm ranges. It will also work better if you are under actual conditions, ie driving. So bring along a spark plug wrench and go for a ride.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
What did you regap them at?

I've got the same bike. Stock ECU with cored cans and no 02 sensor. I pulled my plugs last night and the rear cylinder plugs look brand new. No chocolate haze or anything. TOO clean, so to speak. They've got 3500 miles on them.

Perhaps it's running slightly lean? Would the dealer be able to tell? Bike seems to be running at normal temps though.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Looks maybe a tad lean... like there is alittle burn on it in one of the pictures...

·
Registered
743 Posts
They ok, remember these bikes are meant to run lean. Mine look pretty much the same with a stock ECU and Full Arrow. If they are lean nothing nothing that will cause damage. I don't see any burns that is just where the exhaust port is located in the cylinder. I would ditch the K&N.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
being too lean can cause detonation... that'll cause some damage.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keld said:
WHY??????
My bike came with the K&N installed and the paper filter in the box. K&N's are not the best for filtering - read the Motor Oil thread and you'll find a significant difference in oil contamination with paper vs K&N. On another board someone noted that the bike will run smoother in the lower rpm range with the paper filter, so today I installed the basically new paper filter today. Guess what, the bike ran smoother in the 1,500 - 3, 000 rpm range, maybe not quite as snappy in the mid to upper range, but it still lifts the front wheel with ease in first and second gear.

I've ran K&N's with no issues in all my vehicles for 20 years, but I think I'm staying with paper on this bike, oiled foam on the off-road bikes. An exception could be running a pre-filter with the K&N but thats additional money and hassle considering how few paper filters you'll go through over ownership of the bike. I might run the K&N for track days when you can actually use the slight gain in hp.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
wbeck257 said:
being too lean can cause detonation... that'll cause some damage.
If it's that lean, you'll know by hearing pops and backfires upon deceleration and some very heavy lean-surging.

If you're not getting any of this, but just running a tad lean, you're fine. You actually create more horsepower with a lean mix. A rich mix will cause much more damage and loss of horsepower, in my opinion.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I get popping from the Arrows when engine braking. It is a rythmic pop with no loud backfires. I think it is normal.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Trying to read a plug that's be idling is a waste of time. For any meaningful reading, you need to do a plug chop. Unleaded fuel also makes it difficult, you can't tell much without looking at the ring at the base of the insulator, that's why they make those cool looking magnifiers (kinda like the type your doctors uses for your ears). Reading plugs is pretty much a black art.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
knowpain said:
I get popping from the Arrows when engine braking. It is a rythmic pop with no loud backfires. I think it is normal.
Well, a normal motor usually makes a "brop brop brop brop" type of noise when engine breaking. It's just hard to hear because of the stock exhaust. If it's just loud tones of deceleration then I think it's normal. I usually can tell, mostly with Harleys, when someone tossed full pipes on there and didn't re-jet. When they downshift of brake, you can here a loud and obvious backfire. My freinds and I usually turn to each other and laugh.

Also, are you getting any lean surging? If you ride at a stead throttle in first gear, does it buck and kick or ride smoothly? If you're not bucking or kicking, then I believe you're just fine.

According to my plugs, I may be running slightly lean, but nothing to worry about. My bike runs fantastic. Why fix it if it ain't broken :)

When I piped my Gixxer (carburated), that thing surged like crazy in first gear. I couldn't hold a steady speed. I had to keep on and off the throttle just to ride it in first. It was really very very annoying.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Norm said:
Trying to read a plug that's be idling is a waste of time. For any meaningful reading, you need to do a plug chop. Unleaded fuel also makes it difficult, you can't tell much without looking at the ring at the base of the insulator, that's why they make those cool looking magnifiers (kinda like the type your doctors uses for your ears). Reading plugs is pretty much a black art.
Hehe, exactly what I said, but nobody seemed to notice. ;)

·
Registered
743 Posts
No the bike runs perfect no surging at all. It idles perfect too. The guy I bought it from took it to ATL and had it dyno tuned when he installed the Arrows. There is no aftermarket ecu and it still has the O2. I guess they messed with the throtlle adjustments etc. He promised me the bike was running perfectly I just have a hard time trusting people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts