Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I just recently purchased a black/tangerine s2r 800. The monster is my dream bike and i have wanted one for about 4 yrs but i couldn't get one because of the full-time student/money thing. Anyways i am glad i waited all these years because the single sided swing arm was worth the wait!. They are supposed to deliver the bike to me any day now from the dealership, but they did give me they key. I held the key in my hand while i went to sleep for a couple nights. I have a couple questions which i could not find the answers to. Here they are

1) I have always wanted to have a yellow monster so i plan on painting it yellow. However, i want the finish of the paint to be exactly like the '07 s4r Testastretta, which is silver/red. Does anyone know what that finish is called? It feels like plastic when you touch it. It looks like a matt finish but i am not sure. I want to know what the finish is so i can tell the painter to do it exactly like that, except in yellow. I think its a satin finish but i am not sure. Does anybody know how i can find out exactly what the finish is on the Testa.

2) For exhausts I am debating between Zards and Desmoworld (Spark). Does anyone know which has a deeper growl? I know the deciple rating for the Zards is 102. Does anyone know what it is for the Desmoworld? Also when i get the exhuast, whether it be Zard or Desmowrld, if i decide it is not deep enough, would coring them be an option? Or would that ruin the exhausts in terms of the note?

Thanks a million

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the Desmoworld/Spark system with carbon fiber cans on my S4R. I took the baffles out immediately upon receiving them so I can't tell you what the pipes sound like with them in. They are plenty loud and have a nice sound. The Sil cabon fiber cans that I had on my m620 were throatier though. They had a great deep bass sound to them. I don't know if the difference between the Spark and the Sil sound is attributable to the cans or to the differences in the air-cooled 620 engine and the water-cooled S4R engine.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sleeping with the key! Hah, I love it! Reminds me of when I was in college back in the early 80's and fell asleep for months with the Honda brochure in my hand.

The S4R has a matte finish. Not sure how good that finish will look in yellow, but to each his own. The yellow and black S2R paint scheme was awesome. You might want to consider that.

And BTW, 102 db on a street bike is plenty loud. Anything higher than that and you better have some good earplugs and some friendly neighbors. Also, beware the fix it ticket for loud pipes.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I got the desmoworld exhaust and mid pipe, and it seems alot louder than 102db exhausts. On my db meter @ a couple yards away it read 118db. This is w/ out the baffles & open airbox.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, someone said its a matt finish and that they don't think that will look good in yellow. I saw both the s4r and the s2r dark in real life and something is different about the texture of the paint on the testastretta thats why i don't think its a matt finish. I talked to a local painter and he said that t a "satin" finish is between a normal shiny finish and a matt finish, so maybe its a "satin" finish. Maybe i'll just contact Ducati North and ask them.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
For the exhaust, if you want a deep timber, look at the SIL Carbon cans. As mentioned above they have a nice round deep note. I have not heard them on and 800. But hahve heard them on a 620 and S4. The bigger engine provided some more noise and an even deeper note

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
uclabiker66 said:
Okay, someone said its a matt finish and that they don't think that will look good in yellow. I saw both the s4r and the s2r dark in real life and something is different about the texture of the paint on the testastretta thats why i don't think its a matt finish. I talked to a local painter and he said that t a "satin" finish is between a normal shiny finish and a matt finish, so maybe its a "satin" finish. Maybe i'll just contact Ducati North and ask them.
I would agree that it should be described as satin.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
The older monster(s4,1000ds etc) have bigger cans, it gives more deep sound than the sxr cans! I have SilMotor carbon cans with baffles on and the sound is quite deep and nice, but not so deep as in my friends 1000ds. [thumbsup]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts