Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was just in the proccess of putting on my shiny new rear sprocket when... I got the sprocket installed just fine, went to put the wheel back on and I must have hit the rear brake a couple times when the caliper was hanging off the swingarm. Now the brake pads are compressed together and I can't get the caliper back on the rotor, therefor the wheel can't go back on! Please help!!! How do I get the brake to release and seperate???? I'm desperate as I wanted to ride tomorrow!

Thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
Re: Please help ASAP!

gently work a knife or screwdriver blade between the pads and turn it....it will force the fluid behind the pistons back into the calipers and hydraulic system....not a biggy...try not to gouge your pads in the process

·
Registered
237 Posts

if that doesnt work, you may have to crack the bleed screw open a little and then try to pry them apart. just be careful that your brake fluid level doesnt drop below the minimum mark.

thats how i have done it on a car's brake system, hopefully you wouldnt have to do it for a bike because the brake system is smaller?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

try to push the pistons back as straight as possible. if you cock them in the bore you can damage the caliper. if you can, removing the pads first will give you a better view.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I had that happen once. I just dug through my asortment (sic) of screwdrivers and got a big one to begin prying on the edges of the pads until I had a gap, then inserted it gently into the gap and pried them apart. I pried them all the way out to make it easier to get the brake disc in place. You need to be careful that you're not sending enough brake fluid back to the reservoir that it overflows.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
----- I just dug through my assortment of screwdrivers and ------
What language is this that you speak???
LOL, the E-censor strikes again. ;D

If you didn't add any fluid yet, you should be OK on the level once you get the pads back to where they should be. If the level got low enough, you may have pumped a bubble into the system. If you have a good firm pedal, you're bubble free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts