Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was perusing the owner's manual for my '02 M750D this afternoon, and I noticed that the manual appears to think the Dark came with a plastic 14L tank, whereas the non-Dark came with a metal 15L tank.

My magnetic tank bag and I agree that my Dark has a metal tank :) Anyone have a plastic tank, or was this just some craziness in the manual? I haven't gotten around to running the thing dry to see whether it's 14 or 15 liters yet.

M.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i believe the euro bikes have plastic tanks, but they didn't make the US safety standards, i'm not sure. if i ever need a tank (hopefully never), i would be interested in the plastic tank.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Dirt bikes use plastic tanks and they're much more likely to be bouncing them off of rocks and things. I've never seen a punctured plastic tank on a dirt bike.

O

·
0 Posts
most if not all aprilia bikes come with non metal tanks . sounds like a wise decision to make the gas tank out of a non metal material

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
VW has been using plastic tanks since....i don't remember but a long time. no issue with degradation. plastic tank = no rust + no dings and color can be impregnated into the plastic.

Z

·
0 Posts
Buell uses plastic tanks too. They have a cover that goes over the tank, which would probably help with UV problems, and makes it really easy and inexpensive to change tank colors or get rid of damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts