Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Place to sleep around Pro Italia this Friday (Nov 10th)?

2K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  gm2 
#1 ·
Hey Socal DMLer's! I'm flying into LA this Friday to pick up a new bike from Pro Italia. Plan is to grab the bike, mess around on some SoCal roads, then riding it back up route 1 to San Fran to break 'er in.

First, anyone have the day off Friday and want to head out on a low key ride? (gentle break in and all :angel:).

Second,
Any chance someone in the area would have a secure place to park the bike and some open floor space for Friday night? Not having to rush to get on the road home Friday would be very cool. It would be much appreciated. [thumbsup]

Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you Friday. ;D

#2 ·
JAMMEN,

i live in Malibu which is where you wanna go around and "gently" brake in your bike for sure...
dont know if ill be able to ride with you that day but...im sure well find something interesting to do that evening

if you can get your ass out here i will be glad to let you stay in my apt.

(by the way, malibu is on your way up to SF if you are taking the 1 or the 101)...

pm me if you are interested

#4 ·
Can you fly into Burbank? Smaller faster and do not have to deal with LAX. There is a HI Express just off the 210 on Colorado close to PI. Luca is pretty close as well 45 minutes if traffic is cooperative.

Red

#5 ·
lucazuma said:
JAMMEN,

i live in Malibu which is where you wanna go around and "gently" brake in your bike for sure...
Watch out! It's a trap. A very painful one. There's nothing gentle about this Italian.

#7 ·
lucazuma said:
JAMMEN,

dont know if ill be able to ride with you that day but...im sure well find something interesting to do that evening

if you can get your ass out here i will be glad to let you stay in my apt.

(by the way, malibu is on your way up to SF if you are taking the 1 or the 101)...

pm me if you are interested
That would rock!
Pm being sent.

#8 ·
Red Baron said:
Can you fly into Burbank? Smaller faster and do not have to deal with LAX. There is a HI Express just off the 210 on Colorado close to PI. Luca is pretty close as well 45 minutes if traffic is cooperative.

Red
Yup, ticket is booked and I'll be flying into Burbank. The plan was to take a cab over, but what's this HI express?

gm2 said:
there's a lovely alley out back of PI.

[cheeky]
Haha, as of now the plan is to be getting there before the shop opens and napping in that alley. ;)

#10 ·
Gibbs said:
what time u comming in Ill pick you up I live like 15 min from the airport and take you over just buy me breakfast and well call it even.
I hope you like being cupcake J/K
Gibbs
That doesn't sound half bad (assuming you are kidding about the cupcake part [cheeky]), though the plane is landing at 7:50am, you cool with being at the airport that time on a Friday?

#13 ·
lucazuma said:
why is malibu the spot "for sure" when ach is right up the street from pi?

#14 ·
derby said:
why is malibu the spot "for sure" when ach is right up the street from pi?
Malibu sure seems a 'better' break in area; Tighter roads, more varied load and rpm, more frequent stops (for heat cycling), no need to WTF it, less high speed stuff, and is closer to his Final Destination. Besides that I can't think of a thing.

#15 ·
SteveG said:
Malibu sure seems a 'better' break in area; Tighter roads, more varied load and rpm, more frequent stops (for heat cycling), no need to WTF it, less high speed stuff, and is closer to his Final Destination. Besides that I can't think of a thing.
yeah, but he'd have to "constant throttle slab it" all the way to the 'bu just to get to the twisties. no sense not doing the crest while he's there.

besides, luca always makes it sound like there are no other twisties in the state 'cept the 'bu.

#16 ·
SteveG said:
all that is true. but that's not why Luca said malibu in the first place. :angel:

@ Jammen - Angeles Crest Highway IS right there and IS fantastic. you'd just have to take it easy. however it's not in the direction of home.. if that matters. and snickering aside, riding in malibu is also tons of fun.

#17 ·
Jammen said:
That doesn't sound half bad (assuming you are kidding about the cupcake part [cheeky]), though the plane is landing at 7:50am, you cool with being at the airport that time on a Friday?
Geez thats freaking early Ill see you there at 8:00 or somthing like that. I offered so I'll follow through
I hope you like riding in a stinky mustang though

lucazuma said:
OH MY GAWD, totally
WTF Ill give you a cup cakeride after we do our Shoot :eek:
SteveG said:
You bringing the camera?
I think that I will have to bring it I have it because I have to do a shoot at 12 >:D

#18 ·
Jamie, lend me your ears 8)

ACH and Malibu are two VERRRRY different kind of places.

Malibu is mainly tight >:D to really tight >:D >:D >:D and relatively short canyon roads.That means plenty of choices of canyons that you can ride and re-ride upwards and downwards as many times as you want like rides in an amusement park.

The scenery is un beatable. When you come across a hill or out of a canyon and you see the gulf of Malibu all the way down to Palos Verdes, there is nothing like it. 8) That is why i love it here and (unfortunately) why 3/4 the riders in the state love it too...

ACH is 1 long road with some tight >:D spots but mainly (not ::)) much faster, less windy road. The forest is beautyfull as well. I dont ride the crest often (hardly ever) because of the cop coverage, the traffic, the distance and because i enjoy the tight twisties more than the faster sweepers with my monster. If i want sweepers i rather go to the 33 anyways to be honest...so i really have NO reason, other than purely tourism or to see honey-linda :-*, to go up there...

To tell you the truth, the lesser you guys come out here the better it is. >:D Especially if you live at such distances, i would incourage you guys to hit closer routs such as the Crest, Palomar, Borrego etc. etc. All BEAUTYFUL roads that should not be left un-ridden...IF you ride, that is.
If you DONT ride and just like to chat a lot on motorcycle boards, it makes little if any difference at all what you do or dont...'cause what ever it is that you do, you wont be incrementing the traffic volume if not between your couches and the refrigerator... and thats just fine with me. :-*

...hey derby, do you even remember what either ACH or Malibu look like? ;D

#19 ·
Jammen said:
Hey Socal DMLer's! I'm flying into LA this Friday to pick up a new bike from Pro Italia. Plan is to grab the bike, mess around on some SoCal roads, then riding it back up route 1 to San Fran to break 'er in.

First, anyone have the day off Friday and want to head out on a low key ride? (gentle break in and all :angel:).

Second,
Any chance someone in the area would have a secure place to park the bike and some open floor space for Friday night? Not having to rush to get on the road home Friday would be very cool. It would be much appreciated. [thumbsup]

Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you Friday. ;D
Since you're in town, come by our bike night at Hooters Pasadena and meet some local riders. :)

#20 ·
lucazuma said:
...hey derby, do you even remember what either ACH or Malibu look like? ;D
i do, actually. i'll even come back out and ride with you after 1) mauro gets done with my bike, and 2) my work schedule permits, which it probably won't until the end of the year.

#22 ·
First things first,

Gibbs said:
Geez thats freaking early Ill see you there at 8:00 or somthing like that. I offered so I'll follow through
Seriously, don't worry bout it man. I hate having to get up in the morning and I don't wanna drag anyone else outta bed. Getting over to PI won't be an issue. [thumbsup]
Thanks for the offer though!

lucazuma said:
Malibu is mainly tight >:D to really tight >:D >:D >:D and relatively short canyon roads.

ACH is 1 long road with some tight >:D spots but mainly (not ::)) much faster, less windy road.
Haha, I really do appreciate the varying opinions, but the plan was to do both. >:D
Hoping to have PI get the suspension set up for my weight, then go for a fairly tame run up and back at least part of ACH. Stop back in at PI to have them tweak anything that feels weird, then I'm off to Luca's neck of the woods, hopefully getting there around lunch time for a ride around Malibu. ;D

More then likely will be tough to get it to work out time wise, but there's always saturday morning. 8)

#24 ·
Jammen said:
Hoping to have PI get the suspension set up for my weight
mmm, good luck on that. i hope you're dealing with samson and not the other guy. maybe you even know samson from up north? anyway, i hope PI is more, uh, helpful to you on this one than they were me...

#25 ·
gm2 said:
mmm, good luck on that. i hope you're dealing with samson and not the other guy. maybe you even know samson from up north? anyway, i hope PI is more, uh, helpful to you on this one than they were me...
Yup yup, been dealing with Samson and he's been awesome from the start. [thumbsup]
I'll wait to give a final review till after I pick up the bike, but the service so far has been very impressive. ;D
Worse case scenario I'll borrow some tools and eyeball it in the parking lot. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.