Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my rear Pirelli Diablo tire this afternoon and wanted to take advantage of the offer they have to get a free front tire. A couple questions;

The offer is good while supplies last. Anyone know if they still have any stock left? Anyone get a free tire? How long ago?

And, second, the offer is for a 120/70. My 620 comes with a 120/60 front. Any problems running a 120/70? How will steering be affected? Need to raise/lower rear to offset?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I still think offer ends March 31st. No problems going from 60 series tire to a 70 series (Norm and Tafmonster set me straight there). Perhaps it's just my imagination but they actually feel more stable when turning into a curve......they don't "tuck" as easy.
I got my free tire in Febuary. Pirelli has the tire in stock because that's what they're pushin'....the company just needed an out if there was a onslaught of requests.
Get it in the mail quick....

G

·
Just got mine yesterday. They only take Visa or Mastercard. They state this on the site but not on the form. My amex slowed things down a little.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I pick up the rear today. I downloaded the coupon and will mail it in this evening. I read on the Pirelli site that they only take Visa/Mastercard so that is no problem. Hopefully they'll still have some in stock.

Thanks, mwb

·
Registered
849 Posts
You have to lower your triples (or raise your forks, depending on how you look at it) if you wan to stay close to your stock steering geometry to make up for the taller tire when you switch from a 60 to a 70 series. My S4 already came with a 70 series but on the R6 I had to raise the forks 10mm to make up for the difference when I made the switch.

-R.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Viking, I figured with a taller tire the steering geometry would change. Was just curious how much slower it would steer. I think I'll slap on the 70 series and see how it handles before I make a change. The 620 turns in so easy as it is I don't think the little bit I would slow will matter too much.

Did you notice a big change on your R6? I am guessing you did if you dropped the front end to compensate.

Thanks, MWB

·
Registered
849 Posts
MWB,

I noticed a big difference right away. The funny (well...) thing was my mechanic had made the swap without telling me about it. Of course part of the change in handling can be attributed to the different size and shape of the taller tire, but the bike was also inherently more unstable and somewhat unpredictable mid-corner. I immediately raised the forks when I got home and again, the difference was very noticeable, but this time for the better.

I find the 70-series tire turns in better at the sacrifice of low-speed stability and is much more stable at lean in high-speed turns, but only after I raised the forks. On the R6 there is sometimes the issue of the taller tire rubbing against the fender, but I don't think that applies to the Monster.

I really can't tell you how the swap will affect your Monster. On the R6 dropping the forks 5-10mm from stock with the 70 series is standard, running stock height is not recommended.

-R.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
does anyone know a contact number for pirelli? i realized i sent it in with an amex card instead of vias or mastercard and have submitted the online form but have not heard anything back. i got one number that leads to a voicemail box that won't accept new messages.... UGH! :mad:

·
Registered
223 Posts
here's a silly question. how do they charge you if they're asking only for the type of card and the expiration date on the form? do they follow up with a phone call to get the actual credit card number?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know, Nitro, I thought the same thing. I just mailed off the form this morning. I just wrote my card number on the form.

How do you know if you get a tire? Does it just show up in the mail? Or do they call/email?

·
Premium Member
186 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
How does the normal Diablo compare to the Diablo Corse? I am interested in the deal, altough my bike came with D-Corse's and I like the way they handle.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
On an S4, would you mismatch a Diablo rear with a D207 front for a few weeks until the front tires arrives?

·
Registered
849 Posts
If all I was doing was cruising or commuting (which I'm not) and my rear was worn beyond what's sensible to ride on I would.

Disclaimer: Please note that I'm saying I would. I'm not saying you should or that it's a great idea.

-R.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think I'll stick with the softer compound, I ride harder than the law would allow whenever I can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts