Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Matty: I've read nothing but good things about the Diablos. So, I went out and bought a set. Spooned them on, balanced everything, washed them, scotch padded them, drove 2 miles and threw my bike in the ditch - low side. I'd like to think I didn't get all the mold release off. I'll pass the rest of the story after I get the bike put back together. Ride Safe!

D

·
0 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but are they still offering the buy one get one free deal?

Never owned a set.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Offer is good until March 31st. Get your receipt send them 20 bucks and you'll have the front tire in about 2 weeks. Great tires by the way. 3800 miles on the rear compared to 2000 with the Metzlers. The stick very well in my opinion.

Lee

·
Registered
70 Posts
Until stocks run out apparently. I have to send off for mine still after replacing the back 2 weeks ago! Quite happy with the new back - black and round and seems to stick well to the tarmac (Newbie so not an expert in how it performs at the limit) ;)

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I used to run Pirelli evo's which were great but didn't last. Tried Metzelers which I've always loved but didn't have the profile of the Pirelli's. Tried Diablos and am now on my second set. I love them. Great feel and seem to work straight away. I'm surprised Triple Duck had prob's with them but then perhaps he had a bad combination of elements conspiring to have him off (fate?)

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Put a Diablo on back of my monster last week, rode the crap out of it on Sunday, tire did not get greasy and slide like Michelin Pilots, handle better than the Dunlop 207RR. I usually run only race compounds. I did spray it with brake cleaner and then I hook up a wire wheel on the drill and scrub em in. I have the Diablo Corsa already on my 748 and they rock. Also lighter than Michelin, so less reciprocating weight.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
It was last year they were weighed, if I remember just a couple of ounces each. I beleive that 1 static pound

·
Registered
133 Posts
My S4 had Michelins on, ok to 1/2 worn then more than a few scary moments so i put a set of Evo Corsa`s on it (on offer-cheap) thought these were really good-same as on my F4 so i knew what to expect i suppose. I now have an S4R and first on the list was get rid of the Michelins and it`s got Diablo`s on it--WOW-what can i say-virtually a back to back with the DEC`s EVO`s-loads more feel, front end-which allways on the S4 was the first to say `no more please` is very reassuring, loads better in my opinion, just trying to wear the DEC`s out on the F4 now so i can stick a set on that! :)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I was very satisfied with the performance of my Diablos, and the previous set of Dragon Evos also.

Just replaced the worn-out rear Diablo with a Michelin Pilot Sport, seems OK so far but I haven't got many miles on it and haven't pushed it hard yet either.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I'll need tires before my first track day on May 9th, and have no idea what to get. I want a tire that gives me good milelage, but will be good for a beginner track day, I don't feel I will be real agressive on the track???
And how long before the track day should I have them put on, hearing horror stories of new, unscuffed tires, with "mold release"???

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Just read this in the post by Rev_Deadpan in the touring tires thread~~

"She also did a track day on the Mac 100s as well as a day on her new Pilot roads and they are more than sticky enough for novice track days."

Any other suggestions or comments??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the great feedback! Think I'll have a pair slapped on this weekend!! What is the average "break-in" period? Don't want to have the same experience of TripleDuck :-/

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I just put a Diablo on the rear... went up to a 180. The shop told me to take it easy for 100 miles or so... so far, so good. Much nicer than the stock Dunlop that it replaced. Hopefully I'll get my free front tire soon....

S

·
0 Posts
I'll need tires before my first track day on May 9th, and have no idea what to get. I want a tire that gives me good milelage, but will be good for a beginner track day, I don't feel I will be real agressive on the track???
And how long before the track day should I have them put on, hearing horror stories of new, unscuffed tires, with "mold release"???
I used the Perilli Diablo's for my first track day they worked great. If you take it easy like you are riding in rain for 100 or so miles you should be good. Just work your lean in easy a little more each time. I would mount them and ride them not only to scuff them in but learn the tire as it will have a different profile than your old ones. Better to do that on your favorite road than at the track.

You WILL have a blast it is so much fun just be carefull as you will NEED to go again!!!!

T

·
0 Posts
Thanks all for the great feedback! Think I'll have a pair slapped on this weekend!! What is the average "break-in" period? Don't want to have the same experience of TripleDuck :-/
Matty, just spoon them on and don't be a ham fisted geek (like someone else I know). Ride like your in rain is good avice. Increase your lean angles until you are using the whole tire.

Don't worry about repeating what I did. I think my episode was a combination of things that integrated into a low side - mold release, cold tires, a little sand on the road, too much throttle too early in the corner, and like someone else said - fate.

Besides, its not all bad, I get to spend some extra $$$$ on the italian mistress ;)

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Just for DUCnHAR on the tyre (sorry tire) issue for track days I once asked an ex racer what sort of tyres I should use and whether I should get slicks he told me not to bother with slicks until I had the road tyres moving about (which still takes a fair bit to be honest). Most tyres work out okay at the track depending a little on rider ability and also on their condition.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts