Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that the stock slip ons are about 1-5/8 diameter where they slip into the head pipes. What size are aftermarket slip ons (high pipes)? Im in the middle of a build my own exhaust project. I can use 1-5/8, but I can also go bigger if need be. So go measure you pipes for me! Thanks all,

Kevin

S

·
0 Posts
what do you mean? where the highmounts slip into the header? same as stock.

full systems by contrast typically are 45 -> 50mm's.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean? where the highmounts slip into the header? same as stock.

full systems by contrast typically are 45 -> 50mm's.
No, i just want to know the the size of the pipe between the muffler and the head pipe thats used on high mount setups. Is it the same size as the stock header, or is it bigger (necking down to fit the header) Does that make more sense?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
My FBF's appear to be the same. I was checking that out just the other night when I was contemplating a full system polishing.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah, i see.
typically, slip-ons tend to retain header diameter (high or lowmount regardless). this helps them to be as "bolt-on" as possible. while rejetting or fuel injection tuning is always recommended for exhaust changes, by keeping the tubing diameter consistent, you minimize how dramatic your air/fuel changes have to be.

my own bike's an s4 and personally, i couldn't imagine running a 40mm header. it's choking! i'm currently running a 45mm header from an st4 and fabricated 50/52mm mufflers using 50mm tubing for the slip-fit and 52mm perf'd tubing for the guts of the cans.

the st4 headers can't be used on a 2v bike because of the difference in header flanges, but an st2 header may be worth sourcing if you'd like to pursue something similar.
That or build one from scratch, which is kind of what i was thinking :) First i was just going to do the high pipes, but im thinking maybe i should just build the whole ball of wax. From the heads back. 45mm is around 1.75", and tubing that size is easy to get.

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts