Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does ur pillion rider have full gear on?

My gf was jus fine for a long time and totally trusted me with my riding and didnt complain abt her gear. well when i was in full gear thou ::) But recently she's like i want a helmet and jacket and won't even come in the bike for a short ride. Her reasoning is that the she's is the one who'll be hurt the most in case of an accident.

Jus thgt i'll get an input frm you guys b4 i make up any stories. ;D

I do want her to be safe as well but jus wondered if she needs full gear and wht u guys normally do? :-\

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
this is a joke...right?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
get the lady a lid, jacket, and gloves. everybody'll feel better, especially is something does happen.

i prefer my pillions to at least be helmeted. not only do i not want to pick bits of their head out of the road, but i feel like a douche if i'm in gear and they're not. ::)

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
The Blonde rides in full gear--including textile overpants--for any lengthy trip.

In city, she'll wear jeans, but she's still got a good full-face helmet, either her textile jacket with a built-in back protector and CE armor or a leather moto jacket with same, gloves and over the ankle boots.

Gear up your passenger. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
bobspapa said:
this is a joke...right?
nope I think he is serious

zarn02 said:
get the lady a lid, jacket, and gloves. everybody'll feel better, especially is something does happen.

i prefer my pillions to at least be helmeted. not only do i not want to pick bits of their head out of the road, but i feel like a douche if i'm in gear and they're not. ::)
pants and boots as well

Full gear, no exceptions

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
At what point in the ride, does the passenger become encased in the magic I won't get just as damaged as the rider, bubble?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
bobspapa said:
At what point in the ride, does the passenger become encased in the magic I won't get just as damaged as the rider, bubble?
simple

during the short flight through the air

it breaks however, when it makes contact with the ground

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops! actualy i was serious. had been jus goin on short rides arnd the city and didnt feel the importance. will get her geared up 1st thing! Thx :)

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Does anyone remember a while ago someone posted a link to a girl's story about going off the back of her friend's Gixxer? She was in the hospital for months, all kinds of skin grafts all over her body, still recovering a year+ later and is now starting to ride again? That's about all the details I remember but the pictures and her vivid description of the agony will always be with me when ever I take someone two-up. I searched but couldn't find the thread with the link. Ring a bell to anyone else? Reading it certainly brings perspective to this thread's topic.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
My girl used to think tank tops and flip flops would provide good protection. I won't let her ride without lid, gloves, padded jacket and boots. I've had to spend the $$ to get her the gear but I can't imagine surviving the wrath of her father if I got her banged up. So, I just tell her that if I don't get killed in the wreck, her father will definitely kill me if he saw her with 50% of her skin missing (I showed her some pics of ladies who went down without protection). Now, she won't get on the bike without gear. Of course, neither do I so that probably helps.

Besides, it also protects against the elements -- rain, cold, etc. Mind you, I got laughed at this week at work as I was leaving the office. I wear full leathers when I'm on my bike. I could care less what he thought. So what if he wears jeans and a T-shirt on his ride. I was also riding in November while he was waiting for the heater to warm his SUV enough so his soft hands didn't get too cold ...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
GdubsS2R said:
Does anyone remember a while ago someone posted a link to a girl's story about going off the back of her friend's Gixxer? She was in the hospital for months, all kinds of skin grafts all over her body, still recovering a year+ later and is now starting to ride again? That's about all the details I remember but the pictures and her vivid description of the agony will always be with me when ever I take someone two-up. I searched but couldn't find the thread with the link. Ring a bell to anyone else? Reading it certainly brings perspective to this thread's topic.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/42135/girl_falls_off_bike/

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
lifes_an_ocean said:
My girl used to think tank tops and flip flops would provide good protection. I won't let her ride without lid, gloves, padded jacket and boots. I've had to spend the $$ to get her the gear but I can't imagine surviving the wrath of her father if I got her banged up. So, I just tell her that if I don't get killed in the wreck, her father will definitely kill me if he saw her with 50% of her skin missing (I showed her some pics of ladies who went down without protection). Now, she won't get on the bike without gear. Of course, neither do I so that probably helps.

Besides, it also protects against the elements -- rain, cold, etc. Mind you, I got laughed at this week at work as I was leaving the office. I wear full leathers when I'm on my bike. I could care less what he thought. So what if he wears jeans and a T-shirt on his ride. I was also riding in November while he was waiting for the heater to warm his SUV enough so his soft hands didn't get too cold ...
http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Bingo, that was the one. Definite impression maker.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I value my girlfriends skin more than I value my own. She always has at least helmet, leather jacket, boots and gloves when she rides on back. Of course after we got her all that gear, it was just small step for her to get her own bike and ride! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow! thts was somethin! every story like this will change the way i think and ride every day!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of a case where a rider fell off a bike, but the passenger stayed on? Is it physically possible? Does anyone think that in a wreck that a passenger falls in a better place than the rider or that the asphalt is any more forgiving where the passenger slides?

Full gear. 100% of the time. Before I started riding on my own, the first passenger seat I was on was that of a 1995 VFR. He always insisted on full gear and had an assortment of equipment in various sizes (from ex-girlfriends who ended up not keeping it). Full-faced Snell certified helmet, armored jacket, armored gloves, and I had to wear at least jeans and closed-toed shoes.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
In an oddball case the pillion can be better off than the rider. Quite a few years ago (befroe I knew about gear) I was taking a friend to Indy to pick up a bike he was buying. He was getting his helmet w/ the bike. He was wearing jeans, boots, and a miltary jacket. I had on jeans, boots, denim jacket and helmet.

Oil drain vibrated out of the bike on the interstate (didn't know at the time). Got off at the exit and someone yelled at us. I slowed to about 5mph to take the curve and the last bit of oil dumped right onto the rear tire. Instantly whipped the rear around locking the bars.

Legs and hands got out of the way luckily, but I hit the asphalt directly on my visor and slid for 10-15 ft. All he could do was grab me and hang on. We got lucky and all he got was a scuff on his boot. Any faster and he probably wouldn've been tossed away from the bike and in bad shape.

As it was, it taught me never to ride w/o gear. And DEFINATELY not to ride w/o a ful face helmet!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts