Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found this pic at killboy.com from last week at Deals Gap. Thought you guys might like it.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
This is the only thing I see:

mitt

R

·
0 Posts
I did not see the image the first time I looked. But the second time I saw this. And it was only 5 seconds time difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deal gap that's in N.C. right?

watch that knee
Tennessee/North Carolina border
318 turns in 11 miles.
check out www.tailofthedragon.com

i have been there a few times and it is the best road i have ever ridded on. I highly recommend riding it at least once in your lifetime. It can be a little dangerous due to blind turns, sharp dropoffs, etc... but if you ride within a reasonable speed and stay on your side of the road it is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I like this picture better...

nice arse.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
i have been there a few times and it is the best road i have ever ridded on.
I'm curious if anyone who has spent time on the California roads, north or south, thinks Deals Gap is the best road they've ever ridden.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious if anyone who has spent time on the California roads, north or south, thinks Deals Gap is the best road they've ever ridden.
Unfortunatly, i have never had the oportunity to ride in Southern California, but from the pictures and videos i have seen it probably would take the top spot on places to ride.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've ridden in northern & southern California & prefer most anywhere in the Appalacian mountains. I chose the Asheville area to live specifically because or the roads.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I bet some of those roads in the Appalacians are less crowded than those around here. Also, there is a safety factor in not having an ocean to distract your view 8)

I'm not moving, though.

M

·
0 Posts

Deal's Gap Rte 129 really isn't the best road for "riding". It is one of the best SLALOM type roads on the Eastern Seaboard.

It doesn't have much in the way of sweepers or straights, (though the roads leading up to either side of the actual Gap do)

It is more of a fitness work-out flicking your machine through 318 hairpins and switchbacks on the Dragon's Tail

It is not a road that allows for error, the hollows next to some sections are near bottomless and there are plenty of roadside "departure shrines" attesting to that

I cross the Gap over a dozen times a year by cage to get down to N. Ga home. When I'm home I take my bike on other roads. Deal's has turned into a Darwin Award kinda place...too many folks know of it now due to internet hype

Norm is dead-on the Applachians esp. "The Smoky's" they are tops...

kinda like the Trinity, Klamaths and High Sierras....but better:)

R

·
0 Posts
A few years back I rode Palomar and some other places on an R1 the week befroe Laguna. I am not sure of exactly where. I just followed. The guys all had R1's and GSXR's. I still had the pins in my shoulder. They poked right thru my leathers. It made most people sick out in CA. I enjoyed the riding I did in the surround San Fransisco area alot. Lucas Valley was cool. So was the rock store. I rode hundreds of miles a day. They took me up and down the coast.
I also spent 4 months working in Asheville NC. I met some locals and road the western part of the state around Deals Gap. Out of the 2 area's, I would say the area are both great. I like the road surface in NC better. I like the sweeping more open stuff of CA. I hated the CA traffic getting from one good spot to another. Its honestly hard to say which one I really like better. Both were a knee dragging good time. Both had me riding much harder then I should on the street. Maybe if I did not have such a banged up shoulder and a borrowed R1 I would have like CA more. But as of right now I liked Deals Gap area better. I hate the heat. And CA was weird. It was either stupid hot, or real cold. Most of the time in the same day. I want to go back to give it a real chance. Ride with people who will show me the sites at under 100 mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts