Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....I just wanted to post some pics of my newest obsession. Ok, so here we go. First, I didn't really mind the look of the beertray, so I just fabricated a license plate holder out of a piece of angled aluminum. I also saw that a few of the guys on here have painted their factory exhaust with BBQ grill paint, so I did that. I used a bit of painters tape to make sure only the sleeve got paint on it. Things turned out pretty well so far, but I do have some CF heel guards, CF Beertray, and new grips in the mail right now. This is going to get out of control VERY soon. Thank you all for this kick ass site. I hope to see you all in future events.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I like the look of the black cans, and I'm keeping my beer tray for now also. But you could remove the front fork reflectors and frame stickers for free. [thumbsup]

·
Banned
412 Posts
I hoped you prepped your cans before painting them.

I did my stockers like that last year, but sanded the aluminum with very fine sandpaper first and then applied a couple of coats of self-etching primer before the final flat black coat. Held up great for all of last summer even rubbed my bumper on my car pulling into the garage.... paint scraped right off the bumper, but did nothing to the finish on my exhaust. there was a little red paint on the can, but came right off.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
You've gotta get rid of those Mickey Mouse ear mirrors!! Reflectors & stickers too.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
+1 on the black cans [thumbsup]. I looked at that too by retouching a photo of a 695. then I drank the "kool-aid" and was off to the mods races.. and still going. Yeah, lose the decals--I couldn't stop and ended up taking all the graphics off.

Envious of you having a riding season all year round down in FL.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Millertime said:
I hoped you prepped your cans before painting them.

I did my stockers like that last year, but sanded the aluminum with very fine sandpaper first and then applied a couple of coats of self-etching primer before the final flat black coat. Held up great for all of last summer even rubbed my bumper on my car pulling into the garage.... paint scraped right off the bumper, but did nothing to the finish on my exhaust. there was a little red paint on the can, but came right off.
Sure did!! I sanded the hell out of them for about 45 minutes each, then primed them. I just applied the grill paint today. They look a lot better in person. Plus, my camera is shitty. I am going to remove the reflectors also, I just got caught up with the exhaust today. Maybe tomorrow?!?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
goldenchild said:
You've gotta get rid of those Mickey Mouse ear mirrors!! Reflectors & stickers too.
OK OK....the stickers and reflectors are coming off. I also have a set of the Ducati Performance mirrors coming my way. The factory mirrors shake too damn much anyways!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Also remove the emissions can for free and save some weight.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Looks good. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks really good. [thumbsup]

You have the exact same bike as I have. Only you're able to ride yours and mine is stuck in storage
Since I'm stuck here in the U.K. Even if I had it over here I doubt I'd ride it. Besides being known for good oral hygiene, excellent cuisine, and polite soccer fans the U.k has always been synonyms with good weather (obviously I'm being sarcastic) I have allot of respect for the riders over here but they all look like they had just rode them out of a coal mine without any lights and hit everything on the way out. The roads are just too grime and narrow, it's like driving down your closet!

Anyway I would love to know what you did to prep before you painted them. Did you have to take them off? (If the answer is yes, then I'm out) Did you use a spray paint? I'm about as mechanically inclined as a grandmother who's only part of the brain hasn't been effected by Alzheimer's is where to find the bourbon!

Lastly, how do you like it? How has the breaking period gone?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gordymonster said:
Looks really good. [thumbsup]

You have the exact same bike as I have. Only you're able to ride yours and mine is stuck in storage
Since I'm stuck here in the U.K. Even if I had it over here I doubt I'd ride it. Besides being known for good oral hygiene, excellent cuisine, and polite soccer fans the U.k has always been synonyms with good weather (obviously I'm being sarcastic) I have allot of respect for the riders over here but they all look like they had just rode them out of a coal mine without any lights and hit everything on the way out. The roads are just too grime and narrow, it's like driving down your closet!

Anyway I would love to know what you did to prep before you painted them. Did you have to take them off? (If the answer is yes, then I'm out) Did you use a spray paint? I'm about as mechanically inclined as a grandmother who's only part of the brain hasn't been effected by Alzheimer's is where to find the bourbon!

Lastly, how do you like it? How has the breaking period gone?
Actually the painting of the exhaust was a lot easier than I had figured. I took the exhaust off(again....very easy....only 2 bolts per can)and then I took 600 grit sandpaper and sanded them until I felt they would hold primer. I then primed them with self-etch primer. After all that was said and done, I left them to sit for a day. The next day I went out and painted them with High temp. BBQ grill paint and VOILA!! These are just temporary steps until I get my Termi's put on after the tax return hits. The bike has been a lot of fun so far, but I am only at 346 miles on the odometer right now. I am babying her until things get nice and situated inside the engine. I figure I have about 1000 miles to go before that happens. Maybe more. No matter how much I have to baby her, I will have fun doing it. Laters

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
phishhead24 said:
I am babying her until things get nice and situated inside the engine.
Because the bike came with synthetic oil from the factory, that pretty much means everything was sealed from the start. No reason to baby your bike, its already broken in.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
You better angle out the liscence plate. Some w similar setup
lost plate, damaged tyre etc. Most of them had a tailshop which
makes danger worse but I also think it will look cooler w another angle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will take that into consideration, but I don't think it is as close as it looks in the pics. I will def. check it though!!! THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS GUYS!! Keep em' comin'!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More progress and even more to come. I had to remove those huge ass stock mirrors and throw on some DP mirrors. I added the Evoluzione license plate bracket from ProItalia and put on some CF heelguards. I didn't like the stock grips either, so those got replaced by some gel Pro Grips and bar ends. I have a Dark cowl in the mail as we speak and Termi's are on order. I will post even more pics after those are installed.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts