Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm new here and already posted in the newb forum..but I finally did it...went and purchased a brand new 2009 monster 696 and brought it home today! I am excited and ready to learn all about this bike on here. This is my 2nd bike and my 3rd riding season if I don't include the year I did dirt only prior to going on the road.

Here it is :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking good, congrats on new purchase!

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Did you start on the EX500 there?
I had two of those in my first years riding...i would like to pick one up cheap as a track bike :)
i think you'll like the handling and brakes -much- better on the new bike
have fun
jeff h
monsterparts.com
01 M900Sie
95 900SS/SP

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Cool and congrats! That photos look like my garage, well except I have an Black/Orange 696 and Black Ninja250 and I'm pretty sure that's a Yamaha banner behind your head...yeah I have one of those hanging up too.

I like your style!

·
Registered
21 Posts
you go girl

Sweet!!

I've got me eye on a white one too. Gonna get it as soon as it the Colorado weather warms up enough to ride it home.

I'm still debating over what price point to use to start the negotiation with the dealer. Would you mind sharing your total out-the-door purchase price? Also, what part of the country are you in, as that makes a difference on price too.

Thanks and a hearty Congratulations!! Enjoy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome....now let the modifications begin.

You look like you are tall enough for the bike, but there is a lower seat option, which may give you a better feel.

You will find the clutch to be easy to engage and disengage, but you will be revving the motor a lot from a standstill. The bike will also feel like its gonna die from time to time. I have many years of riding, and I thought I was just terrible off the line. Turns out its the 15 tooth sprocket on the front.You will definitely want to replace it with a 14 tooth front sprocket. It is by far the best mod. It also will only cost you about $100 installed for this. It will transform your bike and make it so much better to ride. If you are handy, or have someone around to help you, the cost drops to around $40. Here is a post I did for some basic info http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/tech/194862-696-front-sprocket-change.html

You also might be looking for a smaller license plate holder. There are many options. Again this is a reasonable ( $120-$150) mod that transforms the look.

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. Yes that EX500 in the background was my first bike..I got 2 riding seasons out of it and loved it. I actually just sold it this weekend to another new rider to teach. I already ordered a shorter lic plate bracket the day I got the bike. The 14 tooth sprocket sounds like a great idea and yes I have someone who can help me at home.

The pics are actually the back room in our basement. I just bought this house with my boyfriend and we designated the back unfinished room as the bike room. It currently holds a crazy moded 50, a aprilia SXV450, a yami yz426, my new monster and the ex500 until I deliver it next weekend to its new owner.

The seat on the monster is actually lower than the EX500..on the 500 I was on the tippy toes and if I had any incline i had to move the bike back or forwards on while not running I couldn't. The monster Im now on the balls of my feet and can't wait to get out to try it out.

Im located in Connecticut and the list price at the dealer was $8700-1k down, tax, title, reg, etcetc it was $9600 out the door but I finianced $8600.

I actually think the bike is super hot! As for me in the pic no way...LOL it was a long day and i was exhausted by the time we got home with the bike! I cant wait for riding and pics while out! If anyone is in the CT area Im down for a ride!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very Nice, I'm in Newtown, CT. Did you get it from Cliff's? I'm there now and again drooling on the Monster 1100's... lol.
Yep thats where I got it. And I just bought a house in Sandy Hook in October so we are neighbors!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Yep thats where I got it. And I just bought a house in Sandy Hook in October so we are neighbors!
Heh... wow, talk about a small world... lol. I'm on the other side of Rt 25 near Dickinson Park. What's your boyfriend riding? I'm on an SV650 currently, I'd definitely be up for a group ride some time. I know the Blue Z coffee house on Rt 25 has a bike night in the warmer weather (Wed nights I think?), seems to get a good turnout.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heh... wow, talk about a small world... lol. I'm on the other side of Rt 25 near Dickinson Park. What's your boyfriend riding? I'm on an SV650 currently, I'd definitely be up for a group ride some time. I know the Blue Z coffee house on Rt 25 has a bike night in the warmer weather (Wed nights I think?), seems to get a good turnout.
Jon rides Aprilias...he has a sxv 450 and he shares the rsv 1000 with his father. I wouldn't mind some bike nights...on my nights off..right now I work straight nights 4-mid..but we re-bid shifts in april..hoping to get days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up same bike, same pearl white in May 2009

Great bike!!! I've done two mods. First, it didn't like starting on hot summer days, and after finding similar reports on the blogs I removed the evaporative emission control canister. It collects vapour from the tank and routes it back to the engine. It's on the left side next to the forward cylinder. It's easy to remove and you have to plug the lines that feed back into the throttle bodies. Not sure this is legal, so I removed it "temporarily for maintenance purposes only" lol. Now it starts fine. I would like to know how many people have this problem, maybe not all bikes are affected to the same degree. Second, I removed the tank and installed a quick connect wiring harness for a battery charger - a must for winter storage. At first, I was starting it up avery few weeks, but the battery goes down too fast. I can relate to the comments on the 14 tooth sprocket. I drive in town - in Montreal - a lot and it does feel like you're riding the clutch, so maybe I'll look into that one. On rides out in the country, though, the gearing is fine and the ride is fantastic! Enjoy the bike!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
+1 on the 14t cog... and

it does make the starts and >25mph riding in the city much more comfortable. This reduction in gearing seems to put the engine running the rpm range in was designed for. Unfortunately, you give up a little on the top end when cruising (the rpms are a bit high over 70mph when you're on the freeway for example - but I wouldn't change it for how I use the bike.)

I was burning the clutch a bit more than I liked until the gear change, but also recognized the engagement point on the lever is w-a-y out on the end of the stroke and learned not to rev to early while releasing the lever. Adjustable levers would probably help this as the stock levers are a bit long in the reach department - something I'm able to cope with but find it a bit trickier in with my thick, stiff winter-weight leather gloves.

Enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
138 Posts
One other thing- you may not need any advice, but this may save you. The front brake is a bit over-kill on this bike. It's awesome powerful, but respect that power and take time to get used to it. It would be too easy for someone to get a bit panicky in a corner and stab at the brake, locking up the front wheel. It DOES get less grabby once broken in (and as one becomes accustom to it). I intentionally practiced 70-0 mph panic stops regularly to get used to the feel of this burly front brake. The feedback is great, but the combo of longish reach to the lever and big power could lead to trouble in a panic situation if one wasn't fully adapted to it.

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
One other thing- you may not need any advice, but this may save you. The front brake is a bit over-kill on this bike. It's awesome powerful, but respect that power and take time to get used to it. It would be too easy for someone to get a bit panicky in a corner and stab at the brake, locking up the front wheel. It DOES get less grabby once broken in (and as one becomes accustom to it). I intentionally practiced 70-0 mph panic stops regularly to get used to the feel of this burly front brake. The feedback is great, but the combo of longish reach to the lever and big power could lead to trouble in a panic situation if one wasn't fully adapted to it.

:)

Excellent advice! The rear brake on the other hand, is very weak. I think it is just there for looks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts