Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally happened my Monster is up on the Pit Bulls, and not for a oil change :'( My Pick Up Assembly decided to die, I guess it was time the bike is 11 years old. Anyway, got everything off the bike drained the oil took the case off. What a fooking project. Parts are ordered will be in on Tuesday. Question is.... Does this happen often? I was told this is one of the 6 common things that happen to Monster's :-/

Side note... My evil plan is working, on took the FILA ;D out on a ride instead.

·
Registered
796 Posts
How did you know your pick up coil went out?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Measured the resistence of the pick up coils. One was a open circuit. It was running on one cylinder :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine went at 5500 miles. It was firing on one cyl and for the longest while I thought it was a carb problem. Finally decided to do a resistance check. The hardest part during replacement was getting the crankcase cover off - finally bought a steering-wheel tool at Kragen to work it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, the case was a booger :mad: the bike has 19,000 miles, so I am not to sad. The irritating thing is the part is so fookin expensive :-/

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi Ally,

Any chance you can closely critique the wires going into the pickup itself? I noticed on Pongo that the insulation has hardened and cracked, exposing the wires. I'm "ignoring" it until the thing fails, then I'll solder in new wires. I would SO love to find where those pick up coils came from. They've GOT to be used in some other application.

If you're interested, I've got some alternator cover gaskets so that you don't need to use gasket sealer.

Good luck!
Chris

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wires were not broken, but I measured it with the Ometer right as the wires exited the pick up housing. By piercing the insulation with a probe. The open circuit is inside the incapsulated pick up. I am keeping the old coils so Marty can find out where they came from.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WooHoo! Monster is together! Have to let the gasket sealer cure, then she will be ready for riding tomorrow ;) It was a great learning experience taking that whole thing apart. Next week I am changing my belts.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Allycat, you are the WOMAN!!!!!! ;D

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has helped having Marty as a mentor, he basically goes over the manual with me, to make sure I understand and then has me do the work. Although, he does stand over me to make sure I do it correctly :) We only had one fight over this project ;D

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
My mentor is Steve, but he is what I'd call a garage hog, he likes to do the work himself, and if you try to help, he'll somehow, politely, finagle the part or tool from you. But he is overcoming that with his biker buds ( not me as much, maybe it's a guy/girl thing?)
His biker buds will come up with thier bikes and want something done, so while Steve is doing it, they stand there and drink beer, so now he has started handing them the tools and coaching them, they get a learning experience and Steve gets to drink a beer! ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts