Registered
3,755 Posts
Re: Pic of my new bike ;D

OMYGOD!

Where do I start? ;)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
pull the evap cannister and get an old-style right side cover or remove both side covers and clean up the hoses and wires.

While the evap cannister isn't pretty in the carby's, at least it's somewhat out of the way. The tumor on the i.e.'s is intolerable!

The mirrors as Tony said.

That Monstrosity that holds your plate.... it needs to be circumcised if not castrated.

After that, it's a lot more subjective. I know you're gonna get a vented clutch cover 'cause you like the rattle mine makes! Then you have to powder coat the pressure plate or buy a billet replacement 'cause the factory piece ain't meant to be seen.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
i'll n'th that, mirrors. then tail chop. pipes. suspension. wheels. the list goes on.... ride her for a bit and sort out what you like and don't like, that will help in the order of what mods you'll do first. enjoy!

·
Banned
1,350 Posts
Same model, year and color as mine T33. That pic brings back memories of how mine used to look when delivered to my doorstep.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I have... A couple of times...

They're pretty straightforward, but my one piece of advice is to put all of your controls on the bars before mounting the clip-ons to the forks. That'll help eliminate any problems with wiring or brake line length.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
A slight refinement of that suggestion;

you can go ahead and slip (pound?) the clamps over the forks, just don't bolt the bars up to the clamps 'till the controls are slipped on. Final asjustment and tightening of the controls, naturall, shouldn't be done 'till the very last. You'll want to rotate the controls and levers so they fall naturally to your hands.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks pretty straight forward. I spent about 10 minutes looking at the setup during my lunch break. Looks like there might be a slight point of intereferance when the forks are turned to lock...unless I assure the position of the clipons is far up/forward enough. As a general rule, do you set the bars as far back as they'll go without hitting the tank at full lock?
I noticed immediately that the riding position is going to be much more aggressive ;D
Now I just have to spend the time to work on this puppy.
After all the suggestion (thanks everyone), I believe mirrors will deffinately have to be next on the list. The clipons are just not complete with the mikey mouse ears. Napoloens or CRG mirrors?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well, you can set the bars up any way you like.

For a baseline position I did the following;

There's a sort of flat side to the clamps along the tank side of the top tripple. I laid a straightedge across the flats of both clamps and aligned them that way. This leaves several mm of clearance between controls and tank at full lock.

I've always been comfortable with that position and have found no need to diddle with it.

Also, locktite at least the long bolts (the ones that secure the clamp) so they don't loosen up and allow the bars to rotate too easily.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So basically you just aligned the flat edges of the clipons so that they were parallel to the staightedge? Sounds easy enough.
I REALLY appreciate the advice on the loctite. That would really suck to have these bars loosen up/come off during a ride. For this application do you use the red or the blue loctite?
Also, I just ordered two 3rd eye mirrors from a bike shop. I thought it was a good deal at $14.99 each from REI, until I found them online for $9.99! WOW! So, for about $25 I have mirrors too. I'll post pix as soon as I install the bars/mirrors.
Sweet!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I used the locktite that lives in my toolbox! Some decisions are easy ;)

I'm fairly sure it's 242 and I think maybe it's blue.

You don't really need to worry about the bars coming off. If the bolts back out a bit, the clamp will just rotate when you hit a bump, throwing your weight forward, causing an unintentional swerve under the semi next to you :eek:

Actually, mine were machined very closely. They're quite snug on the forks. As with all critical bolts though, it's a good idea to mark the bolt heads after install and take a look at the lines evey once in a while.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Clip-ons arrived today.
A few weeks ago I installed the same clip-ons that you have.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don, you're funny. Semis and sh!t...Jeesh.
MikeD-thanks for posting that pic. I suppose that's about the same position as Dons bars-they look 'just about' parallel as we mentioned before. BRW- red Ducs look really sweet.
I'm going to try and document the install, step by step, with lots of pics, and host it somewhere. Maybe it could become a permanent 'sticky' in the mods section if it's worthy of such fame. I think with so many people doing the same mods with the same parts, it wouldn't be a bad idea 8)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dude, for the next mod you should regear. It's one of the cheapest and funnest things you'll do to the bike. I've tried dropping a tooth on the countersprocket (until the chain started to eat into the swingarm guard) and after that going up two teeth on the rear with the stock countersprocket. I like the two teeth on the rear better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts