Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best Modification to add to a monster?

Obviously we all have exhaust and air filters upgrades already, but what is the best next step?
I hear a lot about these "high compression pistons." Does anyone know what they cost + how much power they add?

What about the lighter flywheel type stuff?

I heard that increasing engine size (ex 944 kit) can actually LOWER your compression, and give you worse power/cc. Is that true?

Any other ideas other than these that have been proven a superior value would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wheels. If you have the money buy the bling bling rims and lighten your rotating mass. Throwing a flywheel at the motor doesn't hurt anything either.

·
Registered
248 Posts
So what is the best Modification to add to a monster?

Obviously we all have exhaust and air filters upgrades already, but what is the best next step?
I hear a lot about these "high compression pistons." Does anyone know what they cost + how much power they add?

What about the lighter flywheel type stuff?

I heard that increasing engine size (ex 944 kit) can actually LOWER your compression, and give you worse power/cc. Is that true?

Any other ideas other than these that have been proven a superior value would be appreciated.
Doesnt this thread needs to be in mods section ;)?

I think the cheapest u can start off is with flywheel. you will notice that with lighter flywheel the engine revs up faster ...makes it zippy and when u chop the throttle it slows down faster too there by increases ur engine braking.
I think 944 kit increases ur bore which makes the stock pistons useless u do have to replace em. the result is better torque over the entire range and i think it adds few more ponies at the bottom and lose some at the top. here in the states the approximate cost is about 1800$ including the parts and labor.
mag or cf wheels adds the performance but its just a lot of money :(.

M

·
0 Posts
Gearing my friend............ Gearing!!!

Go down 1t up front or up 2t in the back, or both

whole different beast

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Gearing for sure!

7% more torque across the board for $50 and 1/2 hour of work.

I'm convinced enough that now I'm thinking about getting some gears for my cage.. sort of a cheap way to get out of a superacharger... I don't need that 160mph top speed anyway! (in the car...)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Desmofo: I DID the gearing thing on a 1990 Mustang GT convertible. Went from 2.75 rear axle to to 3.71.

It dropped the quarter mile at the dragstrip by over 3/4 second.

The effect on Ducati's is similar. They come WAY overgeared from the factory (numerically too low a final ratio between rear sprocket and front sprocket). Changing it dramatically IS the single cheapest and most effective mod you can make.

Jim G

R

·
0 Posts
Ditto on the gearing change.

No a 944 kit is higher compression, bigger bore, more hp and torque, Considering the work, might as well go big bore kit then HC pistons...BCM has a really good 944 kit.
MBP makes some really nice head modifications to the stock heads.
Really nice. Check the MBP link here:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=parts;action=display;num=1081633936

or bcmducati.com..for more info on engine mods.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Other than the pipes, the "must do" mods in my book are the clutch slave cylinder and the sprocket. These are effective, quick and relatively cheap mods.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
What's the downside to the lighter flywheel?

I think the cheapest u can start off is with flywheel. you will notice that with lighter flywheel the engine revs up faster ...makes it zippy and when u chop the throttle it slows down faster too there by increases ur engine braking.
I can see Ducati using the gearing they do, probably to satisfy emissions regs, but if the lighter flywheel only improves response, why don't they come from the factory like that?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Whoever said that is a f...... fool and knows absolutely nothing about engine design or theory and needs to never ever profess any opinions nor quote anymore hearsay on the topic.

Now, if you bore out the engine 2mm, you are compressing 40 more cc's of air into a combustion chamber that is nearly the same size as when engine was 904cc. So intrisic to overbore, the compression ratio is going to increase. OEM pistons are "flat top". And since all aftermarket pistons that I have seen have a raised "dome", there will definietly be increase in compression ratio.

Now, to start getting scientific about it, many aftermarket pistons require the squish to be checked and set properly to get the claimed ratio that is stated for those pistons. So if you buy a set of 11:1 drop in or overbore pistons for your ducati and just slap them in, you will definitely have higher than OEM claimed 9.2:1 but may not have the claimed 11:1 that the slugs are supposed to perform.

JE pistons sell for under $300. Hi comp pistons don't seem to add horsepower to me (but they'll typically bump your output 1~4 hp). They seem to improve torque and also time to rpm (or speed of revving). As with anything, to quantify the results, you would need to dynotune you bike and optimize the fueling before the install and then repeat the dyno and fueling adjustment after the install. No one is going to go through the before hassle and simply do the tuning after the new pistons are in.

:) Chris

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wheels. If you have the money buy the bling bling rims and lighten your rotating mass. Throwing a flywheel at the motor doesn't hurt anything either.
I agree--new lighter wheels are expensive, but they improve handling dramatically.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I agree with the lighter wheels. According to some people I've talked to, putting Carbon wheels on a bike will be the MOST dramatic performance change you can make. I'm also going to put a lightened flywheel in the bike soon. Just switched to a 14t front sprocket...

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Lighter wheels may be the most dramatic change, but they're frikkin' a$$ed expensive! If you bought a used bike, you could spend 1/4, or even 1/2 of what you paid for the bike on wheels...

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I don't think price was really the point.. ;D

B

·
0 Posts
Gearing adjusment is probably the best you can do, especially since Ducatis stock gearing lags in low revs. Just an increase of a couple teeth in the rear makes a world of difference. THe lightened flywheel will not boost hp it just makes the bike "feel" faster but reducing engine stress. The engine will rev up and wind down easier. If you use slip ons you need to increase the air intake to really take advantage of it and i would suggest a jet kit if you have carbs.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Um... ya it was.
There is no way I am spending $1000+++ just to make the wheels lighter! I agree that it would be cool, but since so much of the wheels are covered by my rotors anyway, I don't think that they make a huge visual difference. Like I saw in the FAQ section, if you just want to make the bike lighter, diets are free...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts