Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer has an IXS perforated leather jacket I like. I've never tried perf leather, does it keep you warm at all or is it just protection?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Perforated leather is perforated (= has holes in it) to keep you COOL, not warm. I see people with vests over their perf leathers when it gets cold. Some Vansons stuff has zippers to close the perfs.

-R.

G

·
I wear perfs in the summer, and if it's below 60 degrees, I get cold. That said, I can wear them comfortably in 90 degree heat.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I wear perfs in the summer, and if it's below 60 degrees, I get cold. That said, I can wear them comfortably in 90 degree heat.

I wear my perfed leathers all season long (including during the winter)

G

·
BTW, Steve, the IXS stuff is supposed to be TOP shelf goods. I haven't seen any yet, but my Duc dealer will be carrying it in place of Dainese in the spring, if that give any indication of the performance/value.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a perf'ed dianese, has full sleeve zip in liner, good down into the upper 40's maybe w/thermal undies you could go lower, or I am sure somebody out there has some kind of wind proof long sleeve shirt that you could wear under it in the cold...

G

·
I normally wear poly/wool thermals and a fleece windbreaker top and bottom when the temp get around 50. Once I get cold, I can't concentrate well enough on riding to really enjoy it, so when it's in the 40s, i just don't ride. I'm a pu$$y.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am sure somebody out there has some kind of wind proof long sleeve shirt that you could wear under it in the cold...
Hmmm... Sounds like I'll have to check out a golf store for that. ;)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There's no such thing as all-season gear (here in New England). Perf is for summer and cordura or solid leather for spring and fall.

The challenge is the crossover. I'll go out in perf when it's cold in the AM knowing it's going to warm. Then I put a windblock layer under.

I find 60 is about the lower limit for perf for all day riding. If I expect it to warm quickly, I can stand mid 50s for a while.

G

·
I wear perforated all year long. In alabama, it doesn't get to exteme, but anything below 50 is pretty hard to tolerate. Make sure to get a full sleeve zip in liner. Some jackets come with vests and that don't cut it.

And perf doesn't keep you cool in the summer either. I am sure it is better than full leather, but not as cool as a tee shirt ;D. Yep, thats me, safety first.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a Vanson Properf with the long sleeve Streamliner - very effective for Southern Cal.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I think perf'd leather works better in places with low humidity where the evaporative cooling works almost immediately.

I actually think that my perf'd Alpinestars keep me cooler than my mesh jacket in dry desert heat because don't flow as much air thereby keeping some moisture in longer so the cooling works longer as well.

I also think mesh gear drys you out so fast that at highway speeds in 90*+ weather it dehydrates you more than cools you, so perf'd leather may actually be better. At lower town speeds the perf'd leather doesn't flow enough air and mesh feels better.

My leathers are only perforated in the chest area, so I can wear a windproof fleece vest from REI in the mornings to keep me relatively warm and ditch it when it gets hot in the afternoon.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I had a Vanson w/perf front. I didn't think it moved much air through and sold it. I found leather to be hot in summer and cold in winter. I now wear a First Gear mesh jacket in summer and a First Gear Kenya the rest of the time.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nothing's perfect - everything's a compromise.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
... better get DucnHar to give you some cold-weather pointers... she rides in the snow!!
I won't be riding in this snow, supposed to be single digit temps, with windchill below zero. and the Monster is still at FBF getting the engine casing and sidestand bypass.I did ride the HD yesterday , it was in the 30's.I just can't wait for the spring!!!!! So I can put the electric heat away in the back of the closet!!

G

·
Working nights, I doubt I will put my heated stuff away until almost summer. Even the nice days drop below 50 for my 20 mile 6am ride.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Yeah you just might need that electric for a while at 6 AM. Stays mighty chilly for a while.

·
Registered
287 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts