Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

people who use header wrap

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mr. monduc 
#1 ·
Ok it looks damn cool i think. But then people argue that it will cause the headers to corrode, break down, rot etc... So i'm asking all of you out there who have wraped your headers with fiberglass

1. how long have you had it wrapped
2. what kinda climate are you in?
3. how are your headers holding up

I definitely want to wrap up my headers with black wrap but not if it's gonna force me to replace the headers in a season or 2 (or 3)

oh and yeah I know I can ceramic coat and all that but I'd like to use header wrap if I can

#2 ·
First off, it does not look cool :)
I don't have it on this bike, but on my FZR I had wrap from the engine back to the can. I never saw any rust. Even if it gets wet, it will heat up enough the next time you run it to evaporate it is my guess.
I had it on there for 2 years before I sold it.

#3 ·
I had mine wrapped for a year and rode all winter in the UK - and we have plenty of weather here... The wrap on the front pipe got a bit tatty as it's so exposed, and started fraying where the pipe touches the road occasionally (Road Racing under engine exhaust - the pipe sticks out a bit on the left) Otherwise I would have kept it on. When I took it off the pipe is discoloured but doesn't look in danger, and I've left the rear pipe wrapped on the grounds that it looks fine and may help to keep the rear cylinder a bit cooler. I'm sure someone can comment on this, but as I understand it, if the pipe is insulated the gas gets out faster and gets the heat away from the cylinder. I'll get some pics when I find the camera..... ;D

#5 ·
916SP: 4 years- still on
MV Agusta: 2 years-removed to ceramic coat. no problems
M944: 2 years: removed to ceramic coat.no problems
999R: 1 year- changed to a full system. no problems

Key is to coat the wrap after you wrap it. Keeps the liquids off and prevents unraveling.

#10 ·
I know several guys that wrap the headers on their race cars. If done correctly they will keep everything nice and cool(looks good too...imo). A few things to remember, as you wrap make sure to leave 1/4" overlap. Any more and moisture will be retained longer and could cause damage. If/when the wrap gets wet, no worries, just make sure you run the bike long enough to evaporate the moisture.

Cheap performance upgrade/nice look! Good luck!!!

#12 ·
exhaust wrap looks very cool. contributes to the already industrial looks of the Monster IMO. I have been using it since about a year and no problems regarding rust etc. The wrap dries vey quickly by the heat generated by the engine anyway so no needto get worriedabout it getting wet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.