Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the new Penske went on the bike, and then off. During installation the hose fitting on the shock body contacted the frame and broke. Both bolts were in the shock eyelets at the time along with the spacers. I was trying to raise the rear of the bike with a jack, just a touch, as I was having problems tightening the bottom bolt. and then I got the golden shower from the shock while my stomach sank.

I had the hose fitting on the right side of the bike, and it looked like it stuck out a bit much. but there was clearance, obviously not enough when the jack came into play.

So, can anyone tell me which side of the bike they mounted the fitting on? and for the life of me I never figured out where on the frame I would've mounted the reservoir? It looked like the hose was awful short to mount the reservoir outside the wheel well. Any word on a good mount point or picture for the reservoir? thanks in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,761 Posts
you may wanna provide pics so people know how to not do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, thought about that, no digital camera. Old shock went back on the bike after some cussing. Some conclusions that I came up with was I either should've mounted the hose fitting on the left side of the bike, or the fitting just didn't offer the clearance I needed. Maybe a wrong fitting, not sure? It be nice to know what side people are mounting the fitting or reservoir on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after looking at photos, mounted on the wrong side is my best guess. another lessoned learned. I think I let the position of the hose fitting influence my decision too much. it looked like it routed the hose better with the fitting mounted on the right side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·


Mounted to the left it doesn't fit with enough clearance, and to the right it contacts the frame. Everyonce in awhile my bike gives me a decent beating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
turned fitting 3/4 clockwise. it was very snug and i was scurred. drama is over. all this after exchanging emails with penske. support was pretty good and they offered to put a different mount on the shock so the fitting points backwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,324 Posts
Bug said:
turned fitting 3/4 clockwise. it was very snug and i was scurred. drama is over. all this after exchanging emails with penske. support was pretty good and they offered to put a different mount on the shock so the fitting points backwards.
That would be ideal. Are you going to have them do it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed that the oil tank that sits below the seat would be in the way of the new fitting pointing directly backwards. I am not sure if that tank is neccessary and if not? How to rig whatever replaces the oil tank. I had the oil burp line routed up front, and it occasionaly spit oil, as I left it open when I installed pods. I put a filter over it, but not sure what happens if I just route a line up front with no oil tank?

I have to send the shock back to get the reservoir line lengthened, so I got me some decidering to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
Bug said:
I noticed that the oil tank that sits below the seat would be in the way of the new fitting pointing directly backwards. I am not sure if that tank is neccessary and if not? How to rig whatever replaces the oil tank. I had the oil burp line routed up front, and it occasionaly spit oil, as I left it open when I installed pods. I put a filter over it, but not sure what happens if I just route a line up front with no oil tank?

I have to send the shock back to get the reservoir line lengthened, so I got me some decidering to do.
no worries, that's not an oil tank, our engines don't have external oil tanks. That is part of the emissions system and you can easily remove it.

You can do a search on the boards for 'emissions removal' and find all you need
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hiero said:
no worries, that's not an oil tank, our engines don't have external oil tanks. That is part of the emissions system and you can easily remove it.

You can do a search on the boards for 'emissions removal' and find all you need
heiro,
Not talking about the charcoal canister, but a part named oil breather tank. I would rather not remove it, as I don't know the outcome. I'll see if I can find a work around. I haven't come up with much on searching about its removal, or no indication it is a good idea. Any thoughts anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
Bug said:
heiro,
Not talking about the charcoal canister, but a part named oil breather tank. I would rather not remove it, as I don't know the outcome. I'll see if I can find a work around. I haven't come up with much on searching about its removal, or no indication it is a good idea. Any thoughts anyone?
yeah, the oil breather box is still part of the emissions system and is one of the parts that gets removed if you do the emissions system removal. It sits inline between the crankcase breather valve and the airbox and just further prevents oil that mists up from the valve from getting all the way to the airbox. It's completely unnecessary and will not affect the operation of the bike in any way if you remove it
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top