Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there much difference between a Penske and Ohlins rear shock?

I'd been planning on getting a stiffer spring alongside a new rear shock and the manufacturer that popped in my by default is Ohlins.

I do noticed however in Europe more announced are Penske shocks.
Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge or experience with Penske and if so, how does it compare to the Legendary Ohlins?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
there are both quality units. many people are fanatical about one or the other. you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Penske suspension are top notch. I have their most basic unit on my SV and thoroughly impressed. Although just about anything is better than stock SV suspenders. :p

A few friends have used Penske shocks extensively on racebikes and their top-line units are triple adjustable (rebound, high speed comp/low speed comp, ride heigh and perhaps most important- no need for a special freakin' Ohlins spanner for preload adjustment) and on par with just about anything Ohlins has- that an average joe can afford/get. :)

Bottom line: I wouldn't be mifffed if someone swapped my Ohlins rear on my S4Rs for an equivalent Penske.

My 2/100ths of a USD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Both are excellent shocks.
However I find that i have to rebuild the Penske more often, and IMO it's performance degrades significantly between rebuilds, whereas the Ohlins remains more consistent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you are planning on adjusting, the 3-way penske is expensive, but the best.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Wandering Scot said:
Both are excellent shocks.
However I find that i have to rebuild the Penske more often, and IMO it's performance degrades significantly between rebuilds, whereas the Ohlins remains more consistent.
what is getting "worn out"? if it's the oil, they should degrade at the same rate in both shocks.

...on the bright side, at least the penske is easier to service. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are there any Penske shocks that fit the Monster S4? I searched the motowheels site but there is a single product for the 748-998 series.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Gedday....

Never ridden on a Penske. Had Ohlins on my Kawa and they were brilliant compared to the Race Tech modified KYB the they replaced!!!!!

I would say, unless you are Eddie, Kevin or Wayne.... You aint gunna know the difference.... Just pick the colour spring you like the most!!!

Cheers mate...

Ita

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Agent47 said:
Are there any Penske shocks that fit the Monster S4? I searched the motowheels site but there is a single product for the 748-998 series.
contact chris:

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com

(they're not listed on his site either, just contact him)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ita said:
Just pick the colour spring you like the most!!!
That's a reason why I want to try something other than the Ohlins. had one before and I loved it but I'd like the color option, PLUS performance. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Agent47 said:
That's a reason why I want to try something other than the Ohlins. had one before and I loved it but I'd like the color option, PLUS performance. [thumbsup]
you do know you can paint/powdercoat the spring any color you want, right?

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
desmodevil said:
check out www.hordpower.com

they seem to have the cheapest ($699) and the service has been great. I sent them several emails asking questions and the turnaround was awesome..
thats about the right price for an 8981 anywhere.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts