Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just finished installing a PCIII on my M800. Installation was fairly simple - no problems until I started the bike up....
I was told that the PCIII's come with a map already installed for an open airbox and pipes (perfect for my set-up).
When I start the bike, it runs WAY lean and almost dies at idle. When you crack the throttle a little bit it does a little better, but still much worse than the bike was running before I installed the PCIII. :mad:
To see what kind of map I'm dealing with, I tried uploading the map from the PCIII to my computer with no luck. It's showing that nothing is there.
For those of you with powercommanders... what am I doing wrong? I was hoping that this wouldn't turn into such a project!
Also, I figured I would try downloading a map from the dynojet website and loading it to see if it would help my situation. I know that they used to have maps for the M800, but now there is nothing listed (just my luck). Is there some other place that I can go to find a map that would work?
I'm trying to do everything possible to avoid spending an extra $175 on a dyno job.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
So, I just finished installing a PCIII on my M800. Installation was fairly simple - no problems until I started the bike up....
I was told that the PCIII's come with a map already installed for an open airbox and pipes (perfect for my set-up).
When I start the bike, it runs WAY lean and almost dies at idle. When you crack the throttle a little bit it does a little better, but still much worse than the bike was running before I installed the PCIII.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. I found the maps and loaded the one closest to my setup.
Seemed to load onto the PCIII OK.
When I start the bike, it still is running pretty rough and I need to crank the "fast idle" lever all the way just to get it to 800 rpm's. It definitley doesn't seem right.
I even tried setting the throttle position and it still does the same thing.
I'll have to check my connections tomorrow and make sure everything is OK.
Anybody have any other suggestions before I put it back to the stock setup?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link. I found the maps and loaded the one closest to my setup.
Seemed to load onto the PCIII OK.
When I start the bike, it still is running pretty rough and I need to crank the "fast idle" lever all the way just to get it to 800 rpm's. It definitley doesn't seem right.
I even tried setting the throttle position and it still does the same thing.
I'll have to check my connections tomorrow and make sure everything is OK.
Anybody have any other suggestions before I put it back to the stock setup?
sounds like it's not communicating properly with the throttle position sensor. you made 3 connections at the throttle bodies, right? one for each injector and then the TPS?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that I made all the connections according to the instructions.
Hooked it up to each injector and tapped into the TPS wire, then reconnected the sensor. The unit seemed to be getting data OK and would register changes in throtle position. It would just run like crap I don't know if it's due to a bad map or what.
I'll double check all connections and tinker around with it a little more tonight. If I can't get it working, I'll give dynojet a call.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Strati,

You seem to be pretty knowledgable about the PC's. I understand why they are needed and used, but do you know what they actually do electronically?

I know just what PC has on their website, which is a lot of show, but not a lot of depth. I imagine a PC must sense your throttle position, then send a false signal based on your map to the bikes computer to trick it into thinking the throttle is in a different position, to send more or less fuel to the injectors? How does it know what RPM your bike is at?

- someone who is interested in how stuff works -

mitt

·
Registered
413 Posts
I doubt that you want to spend anymore $$, but the ideal solution would be for you to take your bike to a shop that has a dynojet dyno and have a custom map built for your bike. I did this on a Honda 919 and it cost about $200. Its also nice to see how much hp is really getting to your rear wheel and also how much improvement the PCIII makes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep... tom hit it.
the pciii intercepts the signal sent from the ECU to the injectors, alters it based on RPM and throttle position by referencing the map loaded, and sends the new signal to the injectors.
this is the reason some people toot about how much better the UltiMapU59 is. that item is a replacement ECU. no signal interception, as few parts as possible.
i'd love to run a U59 on my bike, but i know that i change things around often enough that i'd get frustrated not being able to alter settings myself. in my oppinion, the PCIII is plenty fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My monster ran a bit rough for the first 10-15 minutes when it was warming up but since then its been fine except for a odd hiccup around 3500 rpm (note to self: email FBF about this).

My PCIII came with a 998 map so I had to load FBF's map after the fact.

I would check the map on the bike to verify it is indeed the correct map. I went round and round until we figured out it wasn't the correct one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
mspgs2, M750 ie bikes use the 998 pciii-not one made for our bikes. My bike also has that dreaded hick-up from about 3250 to 4500 rpms. Will be putting it on the dyno here soon to see if I can get it corrected. I'll let you know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I'm the biggest idiot.
I think I figured out what was wrong. Try not to laugh....
Instead of plugging the 2nd connector of the PCIII into my front injector, I plugged it into the front cyllinder connector - not sure what it's called, but it's located just underneath the oil cooler. The connectors are identical and I wasn't thinking straight.
Of course, I fired the bike up and it ran like sh*t.
Once I figured out what was wrong, I disconnected the PCIII completely, fired it up, and it's still running horribly... almost like it's running on only one cyllinder.
By mis-plugging the connector, how much damage have I done? At this point, I can't even take my bike back to stock.
Help! Can I save it, or am I gonna have to load it on a truck and take it to the dealer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice, Howie.
I'll go buy a new set of plugs and try them out tomorrow.
I'm really hoping that it does the trick!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zeus, 1st question, where did you get the PCIII? secondly, how long did it take to install? sounds like we have similar setups. i have been waiting till the weather brakes to put on the open lid, cant wait to hear it with the pipes!
good luck with the plugs and let us know! i think you are one of the only 800s on the DML with the PCIII.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Who here is running a PCIII on a 750 ie? Does a 998 map really work on? Seems like two totally different animals to me... ???

·
Registered
62 Posts
gunnyosu, No the 998 map is not the correct map. FBF just used the 998 pciii box and include a map modified for their pipes with a k&n type filter setup( it's close on mine, but still needs to be dyno tuned). If you read the notes on the map, it should state that it's for the m750. If you don't have the correct map let me know and I'll email it to you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts