Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just installed a PCIII USB for my M750i.e. 2002 I ordered from FBF, as well as the Airbox mod and BMC filter; also I just mount brand new LeoVince slip-ons. Also put new NGK.

2 issues: hiccups all the way especially between 3k and 6k and backfiring like ****ing hell!!!

I have Octane92 in the tank and I'm gonna wait till it's gone completely to fill it with 87 and hope that will solve the problems.

Any of you guys that have the same map and same problems?!

I looked at the map on my computer but I don't wanna play with it, not until I have 87 in the tank.

Any clues/informations?!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first thing that I would do is to make sure that you have a map proplerly loaded on your PCIII. If the bike is backfiring, chances are that it's running lean. I don't thing that different gas will solve the problem.
It sounds like your PCIII might not have map loaded in which case you would have to download or have FBF send you the right map for your bike.
You can easily check by loading the software to your computer and uploading the map directly from the powercommander.
If there is a map loaded and it's still not right, then you can try getting a different one from the dynojet website (www.dynojet.com)

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry... I just re-read your post. It sounds like you already checked and found a map on the PCIII.
Try saving it to your computer and using a different one from the dynojet website. As long as you save it, you can always load it again if the others are no better.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know but I did a comparison with the 800i.e. and everything is upside down: the 750 has all the settings in negative while the 800 map has almost everything positive. That's quite a difference! even though the bike are somewhat similar...I guess

This is confusing I'll email FBF and see what they can do.

The symptoms are terrible...it hiccups all the time at almost any rpm range, not the high though. Now the good thing is that I truly get more torque and power.

beuahhhh.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
may I add, the bike use to hiccup before I did all those upgrades, when everything was stock last week it was not very pleasant to ride...I thought these mods could solve that.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
All negative numbers in the map does not sound right.

It'll run a little leaner with the pipes, and definitely leaner with an airbox mod. That combined with the map making it leaner yet...
Let me guess, when the engine's cold it's a tiny bit better?

Try running with an 'all zero' map, and see if it's better.
Definitely keep the heat on FBF to make it right...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mostly neg numbers in map is correct, These are 998 pciii's, remapped for the 750. You will not find a map at dynojet. They technically don't make one for the m750. My pciii did the same thing. Make sure you make the tps adjustment on the software, that is what cleared almost all the issues up for me. I didn't bother the map at all, but I did alter the low, mid and high range from the pciii itself. Still have not dynotuned bike yet, no one down here in Tucson to do it. Have to find someone in Phoenix, unable also to obtain someone elses dynoed map to compare. can I borrow someones?

·
Registered
413 Posts
T
You can easily check by loading the software to your computer and uploading the map directly from the powercommander.
)
I'm not trying to undermine the wisdom of zeus, ;), and its just a point of symantics, but if you click the "upload" button on the PCIII software you will overwrite what is on the powercommander with whatever map is loaded on the computer. Click the "get map" button to pull the map from the PCIII. I know this because I spent $200 on a cutom remapping last year. I went home to save it to a disk, loaded the 0 map on to the computer, clicked the upload button and guess what---$200 down the tubes :(

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I have changed the throttle position but couldn't set the max using the throttle so I entered 28000 manually, what value should it be/do you have?

Also JDUB did you get your map from FBF as well?
Could we exchange those by email? so we could compare.

Now I've set the low and mid range to almost max setting on the module itself and it seems to have cleared the problems...thank god...the thing is now there's not much room to play...unless I remap the original map by 10% or something in the software and upload it

Once im' used to all this I'll try custom mapping my own starting with a zero map.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, I did get my pciii and map from FBF. It looks yours is set up like mine(pcii adjustments) 2 up on low, 3 up on mid and 1 up on high. Seems ok, but far from perfect. I will get my tps settings, map and email them tonight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh, forgot. Why couldn't you set max tps? I was also thinking about uping the map by 5-10%. The question is. What percentage change is each value on the map?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been trying different today, so far +3low +3mid seems to be the cure for me, I haven't touch the high yet. I'm not a fast rider anyway.

I think +1 on the software equals +1%
now each light equals 2% I think!
so basically if you have +3 lights on the unit that means +6 in the software (...maybe I'm wrong)

It's not that I couldn't but I did not fully open the throttle because it's way too noisy and too darn powerful! no? ...always felt like it could damage the engine especially since it was cold.

Also my map version is 143.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my tps is 18 and 247.
don't start the bike to set the tps, hook up 9v battery adapter and turn ignition key on. but don't start bike.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Guys, just noticed your very interesting discussion re: M750ie '02 - which is what I have. It has FBF Carbon end cans (like that when I bought it) - but otherwise appears unmodified - I've been looking at the FBF airbox and a PCIII though Ferracci seem a little expensive for the PCIII. Any info re performance etc appreciated - its due for some fettling...

·
Registered
62 Posts
The pcIII will need to be dyno tuned to get it right. Is it worth it? Mine is still not tuned correctly, So I thought I'd go back to the standard airbox and filter and remove the pciii until I could take it and get it tuned. I made it ten minutes from my house before I turned around and reinstalled it. I love it and the sound of the open airbox. They say it really doesn't add much HP, but it sure feels like it does. The trip to the dyno is coming soon.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when cold it is just ok, when the bike hits 220 or something it's hiccups after hiccups, terrible. And I've modified the map by increasing by %13 so I could set the box to 0 on the 3 ranges and get room. But basically that would mean I'd have to increase even further. The fbf map seems ridiculous then, from everything in negative it's now almost all positive and it still doesn't make it. ANd I'm not even talking about detailing the map. weird.

and have it dynoed...like where?!

FBF and especially Dynojet should take a look at this model for christ sake!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay i've been fighting with my M750 for awhile. Nothing has cured my below 4k hiccups.

Until I loaded windows on my laptop (ugg what a nightmare!) and dragged it outside to the bike.

I created a zero map and guess what.. hiccups gone.

The map supplied by FBF is mostly negative values in the rpm range/throttle % that I seem to have issues with.

Now I might be guessing but I decided to check out the M800 map that PowerCommander has. Surely there is not THAT many differences between the M750 and M800?

Wow.. all positive numbers in that rpm range/throttle %...

so...

I created a new map, I changed all the negative values to positive values and all positive values to negative.

Guess what... the values are very close to the M800 so i'm going to give this map a try real soon now.

My theory at present, since FBF isnt too responsive to phone calls and emails (but i've not pestered them) is the OLD powercommander software might have read the map files differently than the newer software. I did some dissembly of the map files (in a attempt to reverse engineer their protocol so I could write my own mapping app so I wouldnt have to load windows) and given the map file structure I might be on to something here. I just wish FBF answered emails or I could get the original software PC shipped to actually install..

Anyone with a custom map on a 2002 M750 can confirm/deny positive or negative values in their map versus performance?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe but I've found the issues..

Seems FBF ships a crap map for my 02 750

i uploaded a zero map and the popping/stumbling went almost entirely away.. so its a lean condition we are dealing with, almost for sure.

So i convert the FBF map, basically inverted values, negatives become positive and positive become negative.

Oh my oh my...

the pops/stumbles were gone, completely and the noticable lurch up in power around 3k is gone, instead the power is on from off line as far up as I could tell. The top end seems a tad perkier but I'm certain this is probably just my thinking I found the holy grail.

For certain the monster pulls like one in 2nd/3rd to 8k.

If anyone wants to try my zero map or my "positive " map you can grab them from my website...

http://www.403forbidden.net/Ducati/M750-zero.map
http://www.403forbidden.net/Ducati/M750-pos.map

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
awesome! keep up the good work! ;D ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts