Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys ever had a tire patched? I've always thought the common knowledge here is that it is too risky, and you just need to buy a new tire every time you catch a nail.

I was always fine with that until I hit my second nail within a month here in my new town. It sucks. I am riding a bike instead of a car to SAVE money, not to spend $400 a month on tires.

A local bike shop said they can patch it for me no problem. They say they dont plug it, they remove the tire and apply an internal patch that is totally solid.

Should I trust them?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I'd buy a new tire not worth the risk.

G

·
You should buy a new tire, reason being even if the patch is solid (the type you describe will not come out) the casing of the tire could be damaged. This means the belts etc. could generate heat or otherwise come apart over time, even though the hole is patched.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Buy a new tire. I know it sucks. I caught a concrete screw in my rear tire with only 250 miles on it. Made me sick. But, to me, it's just not worth the risk, and if you do patch it you have to know that everytime you ride, that's all your going to be thinking about.

Does it feel weird?
Is it losing pressure?
Is it flat? Better pull over and take a look at it.

All the time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
+1 on the new sneaker...+1 on it sucks also but, I don't even like a "repaired" tire on my pickup truck. I wouldn't run a patched tire on a streetbike unless I was stuck somewhere and had no choice. A penetration in a radial tire can cause belts and bands to snap...

Stop running over ****. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
While I respect all the other responders opinions that you should replace it, I've run plugged tires many times. I've got one in my Monster's rear tire right now, and I've got one in the front tire of the Honda thats been there about 20,000km (13k miles).

Yeah, it's a risk, but in my opinion, it's a smalll one...

big

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would say, if your only using it as a commuter, running generally low speeds, the have it patched. However, if at any point you plan on running over 45-50mph, then replace it.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i got a 4" nail in my rear tire a while back. i road with the nail in the tire for about 30 miles to find a plug at speeds up to 70mph. I found a plug, did the job right with rubber cement. I rode that tire for another 800+ miles without issue. Of course you check the tire to see if its losing pressure but that should be standard practice anyway, regardless of damage or not. Just take a look before each ride. I changed the tire out because it seemed to be the concensus, but now think i should have saved my money.

I think a patch is even better than a plug and wouldn't change the tire either so long as this is a street bike and not a track bike.

Patch the tire, do a pre-ride check. Tire pressure, lights, horn, etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Patch the driveway, patch the roof, patch the kiddy pool... DO NOT risk a patch on a streetbike tire regardless of some people's "LUCK" with them.... If you have to ask....Well, then you must want things right.

13K on a tire??? I can see why a patch woundn't bother you dude. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Has anyone had a plugged or patched tire have a problem that put you in danger? Or are we all just frightened of the unknown?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Pakhan said:
Has anyone had a plugged or patched tire have a problem that put you in danger? Or are we all just frightened of the unknown?
Many manufacturers do approve of repairing tires with a mushroom plug, which is a patch/ plug combo that is installed from inside the tire. Search their sites for more info. The repaired tire also looses it's speed rating, so if you go for triple digit sprints that is to be considered. The likelyhood of a properly repaired tire failing isn't that great, but if it does it can happen rapidly which may spell tragedy. On the other hand, some folks on this board have done track days on repaired tires and survived. If the tire has mileage on it and you are paying someone for the repair it probably pays to put that money towards a new tire. Me, I'm conservative, I replace.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have used those "Slime" rubber strips that you fold and jam half way into the puncture with excellent results. I got the tire replaced within a few days but that slime patch got me around fine while I found time to get the tire replaced.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have used plugs on ATV tires for years with great success and also on the rear of my monster. Nothing beats a new tire but I have plugged with no adverse affects. For me it is usually a milage issue on the tire. Newer....plug it.....older......replace it. Just my .02.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts
I have a very nice used one I could sell you, plenty of life left :) PM me if your interested $20 plus shipping

1 - 16 of 16 Posts