Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do when parking in downtown seattle? I've been parking on the sidewalk when running errands (and think I'll continue to do so re the Monster vs. SUV thread in the main forum). Haven't gotten a ticket yet, but how far can I push it? 4 hours? 8?
I've also seen plenty of bikes parked on the street just past the metered section (there's one that parks on 5th and about Bell every day). Thoughts on that?

Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
I park outside the metered sections, and never had a problem. Even parked very close to the fire hydrant, and the traffic cop said it was fine. They can always wheel it out the way if they need it I guess. But I don't park downtown often, so this is experience not advice ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well let's see I just got a ticket last month parking my bike on fifth and bell in between the the car spot's like youre talking about .I saw the same thing and thought that was great but the first time I do it I get a 38 dollar ticket what a joke they talk all this crap about getting people out of car's and riding the bus or something else and they hose you when you try and releave traffic so I found a bike spot on wall street and fifth but it still cost's the same as a car spot so I just take a whole spot .I figure if I'm paying the same I'm taking as much as I can get.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ya, Seattle meter prices are outrageous... Then again, if raising the price opens up more spots, maybe it's worth it...

All I know is that in Bellingham it costs 1/4 as much, and the tickets are way less too.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Should we all unite and write some joint letters to the "authority" so they will open up some parking space for motorcycles? There isn't much point just groaning about it, let's take some action. Any seconds?

Motorcycle IS a solution to all of those insane traffic jams and crowded downtown parking, let alone all the environmental advantages and gas savings (I think my 620 is doing about 50-something mpg). We should be able to park for free to encourage others to join us.

G

·
Traffic as a political issue is just a bunch of lipservice. They don't care if it doesn't involve them as the hero.

G

·
Work at the county level, contact and write all the council members about your gripe. Anyone higher will prove to be worthless.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I agree. The president hasnt responded to any of my letters...

Do you think the monorail will ever help the problem?

G

·
Monorail? Oh yeah!

That is the single greatest traffic congestion releiver I have ever seen!

Hasn't anyone seen the Monorail Simpsons episode? Man, this whole wast could have been avoided. I had to pay $106 to re-register my car, and $66 of it was for the monorail!!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ya, you're right. The people of Springfield made a mistake with that monorail, just like we probably are. But you have to admit, it is a very romantic idea. You just want to believe that it will help dont you?

G

·
Ya, you're right. The people of Springfield made a mistake with that monorail, just like we probably are. But you have to admit, it is a very romantic idea. You just want to believe that it will help dont you?

Now that is funny :D

G

·
I have actually checked out the political action needed because I'm a long time Belltown worker and biker. What it would take is a lot of signatures and copies of these to the chief of police and the city council to get them to ease off on motorcycle parking. Right now it seems it's okay as long as the metermaid's husband didn't criticize her egg salad that morning.

I've heard the woman who owns the building @ 5th and Bell, (the glass shop) hates motorcycles somuch that she has it written into the lease that motorcycles are not allowed to park on the sidewalk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts