Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Palomar Mountain

2K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Desmoboy 
#1 ·
Well, the mountain is open again and many people seem interested in riding on the weekends so.... for any of you in the southern part of CA that would like to meet up with a few members I'm usually up for a ride on Sat or Sun.

#3 ·
Hey man, I'm game on Sunday. I'll probably be with a posse of guys from work with an assortment of Jap hardware and one BMW Boxer Cup Rep. Usually ride with a guy who has an Aprilia Futura also. Are you local to SD or will you meet us on the hill?

BTW, if you want to buy the beer I'm good with that ;)

#4 ·
Depending on how Saturday night goes (BIG party) I'm hoping to hit the mountain 'round 10am. Sometimes I head out dearsprings road and spend an hour cutting up the back roads before making my way to Palomar. We usually start this ride at 8am.
I'll send them this post and see what they're up for, but worst case we can meet at the bottom or whatever.
-Matt

#6 ·
We can always go again on Saturday. I try to get out there at least every other week. My friends suggest meeting at the bottom at 10am. We're going to head up Palomar, then down, then out to Dearsprings and hit the trails out there for an hour or so. We like to get up to Palomar before all the hot-rods take over. Three weeks ago one of them took my friend out completely. He crossed over the yellow and down they went. He's ok, but his bike was totaled. The other guy was fine.
Anyway, I have one friend with a dark 620, another with a yellow SV650, and another will be there with an 1100 Suzuki naked style bike. Mine is a dark 620.
See you this Sunday. Cheers.

#8 ·
It's about 4 miles north of 78 off the 15. I don't know all the roads by name, but after Deersprings, they eventually loop around to the 76 after about an hour or so of really technical riding. By the time we get to Palomar I'm scraping both sides of my bike :D

#9 ·
I would love to see you guys on Sunday. My monster has been in the shop for 6 weeks, and is due to be sprung from "The Joint" Saturday. If that happens, I will be at Palomar around 9:30 at mothers, Sunday.

Regards,
Rideon

#10 ·
BTW, the pic accompanying my messages was shot at palomar.

I am calling mothers restaurant to day to see if there is any restriction in the area due to the fire/looters. If so, I will post back.

Regards,
Rideon

#12 ·
Called Palomar Convention center (?) and they said Palomar Mountain was completely open, both grades, east and west. 76 was open, 78 is open, They didn't know about Mesa Grande road, but speculated "no problem". :D

Now, all I need is my bike to be done by Saturday!
Regards,
Rideon

#13 ·
Hey, this is shaping up to be a ride! Thx for checking on that Rideon. I haven't been up that way lately and I'm looking forward to a good ride. Would either of you be interested in meeting at the Starbucks at hwy 15 and Aero drive? It's in Stonecrest Plaza next to an Einstein Bagels. I'll be there about 8:30 and leaving about 9:00.

#14 ·
I just checked with my posse ( ;D) and there will be at least three of us for Sunday (only two with ducatis), but were up in North County so we were planning to meet close to the university up here (Cal State San Marcos). We're planning to meet close to 10am and hit Palomar up early to avoid some of the loonies (and there are plenty), but we're flexible. If we can meet somewhere along the way that would be great. Maybe if we could agree to meet somewhere close to the mountain at some specific time I could adjust my plans accordingly.

#20 ·
Cool, 11:00 at the Hideout. I'm not sure how many will be with me; you know, invite ten and three show up.
I talked to the road crew on Mesa Grande a couple months ago and all the work being done now is prep for a repave. That'll be swweeet.
There's rain in the forecast for tomorrow so if it's coming down cats and dogs in the morning I'll check this post about 8:00 to 8:30 and see if any of you are bailing. It'll have to be raining pretty hard to keep mo home tomorrow :(

#22 ·
Good People:

It's raining where I am at 7:55 in the AM. I must abort mission. Rain makes me even more squidly than normal!!!!
:eek:

Hope to see all of you at a dryer day!
Sadly,
Rideon

#25 ·
Damn, the weather cleaned up nicely and I bet Palomar was good enough to ride. I ended up going out for an hour down the coast, but the twisties were what I longed for. Next weekend for sure. Let's make plans and get as many together as we can.

#26 ·
Well, am I the only brave soul in San Diego? Or is that I blindly ignore the obvious futility of going out to ride in 50 degree raining weather? Whichever it is, I'll refrain from telling you guys how good of a time I had today and hope to see y'all when the weather is better. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.