Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Palomar mountain video

8K views 75 replies 24 participants last post by  timmyg 
#1 ·
There's a really good video of the S6 up Palomar mountain at Ride Behind Videos. Do a google search on "ride behind videos", click on the SECOND hit, and watch episode 10. Here's the shameless plug part- I'm the guy on the Monster 8). I saw the "videographer" last Sunday and he told me about it. Good quality stuff and excellent streaming video. Now flame away as I go get the Nomex......

#2 ·
Man, wouldn't want my bones imbedded in those banks at those speeds. I like the odds better where there is nice run off area and you can see past the apexes - before you turn in.

#4 ·
Dayam! You guys are fast!

Mr. Ride Behind Video (from the thepestilence.com):
"I got passed on the straight after the meadows by a guy on a Duc, he tries the rest of the way up to get past Robert but the mighty R1 pulls on the Duc coming out of the corners and he can't get by.. LOL!"
What's that all about? I'm sure he's a cool guy, but... The "mighty R1" should have pulled the "F" over and waved the faster rider by - who cares if the R1 can beat you on the straights.

#5 ·
Go here: http://www.thepestilence.com/, click on Videos, then scroll down to Episode 10.

I think it would have sounded better with a V-Twin instead of an inline-4.

SoCalSar, if that was you in the second half of the video, you were way too close to the guy in front of you. Any little thing goes wrong and you both go down. Or maybe nobody ever crashes on Palomar.

G
#7 ·
pitiful

now we're getting ridiculous... 8)

1) yes you're following this guys dangerously way too closely :mad:

2) you clearly don't know how to enter a curve ::)

3) so funny how ridiculous you all look when you slide your asses sideways to simulate some kind of racing curvy attitude. ;D

ahahah...live(me) and let die (you) ;)

G
#10 ·
Nice video,
I agree this level of riding would e better left to the track. Lack of run off and all. But I think this camera mans speedo is off. A bit high. Maybe I am wrong. But I have shot some video in my time. And he just does not give the impression of speed when he passes other riders going the other way. Even the the landscape does not seem to go by fast enough. I could be wrong. Its just my opinion.

G
#13 ·
That's coming from a guy who claims to get 10k + miles out of his tires
claim ::) hey come and see for yourself you're not far....

now you really have to tell me how you can't use a tire more than 1200 miles...?! oh I got it you sand them right? so you have others believe you're some kind of racer ;D

Anyone that rides normally, commute+fun will go over 12k with new tires. And yes I do ride canyons as well.

Dunlop 205...Stock_shit remember?

G
#15 ·
Chad's a great rider. I have ridden those very roads with him on a DML ride. Of course I was in the middle of the pack and he was of course with the 3 or 4 nuts in the front. :p

Ducato. It seems to me that Chad knows how to enter a curve fine in fact it seemed to me that he was messing around because the R1 was going too slow for him. You know, exaggerating how much easier it was to take the corners on a Duc.

Dangerous? Yep. Speedo off? Seems so to me as well. Maybe the vidoe guy dials his up a bit to make the vidoe seem crazier then it is.
It maybe just his lens choice. But it does seem slow for the indicated speeds. I am glad I am not the only one who thought this.
As for the danger. Nothing wrong with ripping up some back roads when its empty. Dangerous? Sure. But its your ass. I just hate to see video's of ass wipes running crowded back roads executing unsafe passing and riding on both sides of the road. The world is not your personal play ground. GO to the track to dice that hard.

#16 ·
Palomar does tend to make carcasses out of people, not only on the mountain, but on those wonderfully fast sweepers going down to the firehouse! :eek:

The informal scoring is 50:50 between Harley riders who spaz out at leaning more than 2 degrees and sportbike riders that cross the double yellow, or overcook and don't commit, or wash out the front end.

The occasional anti freeze leak from the Ancient RV's that crawl up the hill is enouph to make anyone find God!

On to watch that cool vid!

Regards,
Rideon

#17 ·
I cannot ride like that, but I admire the people who can. I think it is fine to ride like that if you have the ability, and the open road. It is all your frame of reference to judge. Here in the Alpes riders (and drivers) are a lot more dangerous than the bikes in this video where - with a lot more crowded roads.

Good video!

mitt

#19 ·
Mutated into a tire thread...

The best I've ever done on my M900 was 4000 miles on a sport touring tire. The worst was 2500 on a BT-010. Anybody who can make a tire last over 10,000 miles on a Monster just isn't having enough "fun" riding it. Droning on freeways at a constant speed is a drag.

Accelerate, brake, turn. Repeat.

G
#20 ·
just because I still ride my stock tires at 10k miles mean I'm not having fun with my bike?!

pouahahahahahah... ::)

I'm really wondering what you guys do besides bewllsheeting over the mileage/fun tire ratio...amazingly ridiculous...

oh yeah I still have my 10k rotors as well! ;)

this is too funky around here please bring it on some more! ;D

G
#23 ·
10K miles? I could not imagine getting 5K. I have had many bikes in my time. Only one bike made it to 5K. It was my Futura. And it needed tires long before I changed them. I lent the bike to a friend this summer with bad tires. He returned it 4000 miles with the same tires on it. Front and back were showing thread.
My honest average tire wear on my bikes which are used for track and street use are 2000 to 2500 miles. Less if I do too many track days. Heat cycles kill traction. Sure the tire looks good, but does not grip. But either way the 30 mile daily commute puts the flat spot down the middle to kill it by 2.5K. I imagine the stock tires might give me more like 3500. But the stickier tires I relpace them with will more likely bring me back to the 2k area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.