Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know my bike fell on me a while back and my knee put a pretty good size dent in the tank. I was given lots of advice on what to do  everything from put a sticker on it, to send it to Norm to get it fixed. Since the dent didn't scratch or break the paint I was pretty determined to find a way to pull it out without repainting it. My last attempt was a product called "The Ding King/Twist a Dent." Now I'd heard that these things were crap and didn't work, but I figured for $20 it was worth a shot, and I'm glad I gave it a shot. Even though the dent isn't perfect I'd say it looks a whole lot better than it did before I started. I think I could have gotten even better results had the dent not overlapped the contour line in the tank.

Here's a pic of the product I used.

Here's a pic of the piece glued on. I wanted to show this because it was much trial and error that led to the perfect amount of glue to get a good hold. I found two complete pulls of the trigger on the glue gun gave me the best amount. I also found that it will hold better if you don't press it on too hard. You want a thick amount of glue between the tank and the piece with some overflowing around all the edges. I also found that even thought the directions tell you to wait 5 min. before pulling the dent, I got better results by waiting more like 10 min. One last tip is to start around the out side edge and work your way into the center of the dent as it gets smaller and smaller.

Here are a couple final pics of the before and after. I'd say it took about 15 or so pulls to get it to come out this much and even though it's not perfect I think it looks a lot better. At least now I can live with it till winter when I plan to get it fixed properly.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Paintless Dent Repair by the King (lots of pic

Looks great! Was it hard to get the glue back off of the tank?

How is your knee? That was a pretty nasty dent.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The knee is fine. I was actually quite surprised by how easily the tank dented. It took me a while to even figure out it was my knee that did that damage.

As for removing the glue

·
Registered
240 Posts

Where did you get the stuff?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You can get it online here for $30
http://www.asontv.com/products/1033509796.html

However, you can probably pick it up at most auto parts stores. They were sold out at AutoZone so I bought it at Pepboys. I think they may have been the cheapest since I only paid $20.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Is it called the KING?

M

·
0 Posts

Looks great! -- how long did it take to do?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Looks great! -- how long did it take to do?
I'd say it took about 15 to 20 pulls. Sometimes it would just pop off without pulling any of the dent, and sometimes it only pulled a little bit of the dent. I usually waited about 10 min for the glue to dry, so I'd say it took about 2 and a half hours. Thats not including the time I spent looking at it trying to figure out where I should glue it next. Maybe 4 hours total wrapped up in it.

F

·
0 Posts

I would think that they could pop the remainder out. I watched them do this on my van. They used metal rods and reached inside and slowly worked out the dent. Strong wrists, patience and experience ... took about a 1/2 hour to pop the dent and buff the finish. Try looking around ... I'd contact a local auto dealer ... some of them have a guy in their employ that do this for them cuz they dent so many cars moving them around on the lots.

M

·
0 Posts

Thats funny Michael. I bought "Ding King the day before yesterday and spent about the same amount of time doing the same thing yesterday.

Its a slow process (20 plus pulls) but...It does work!!! 8). Its not perfect but for less than $22.00 with tax, its [email protected] good. No repainting or lost biking time. The $400.00 plus dollars saved is nice too. ;D. I got the last one Perboys had.

I will try to find someone who removes dents to get the small dent out now. I think mine was worse than your in the beginning. Your's looks real good now. Your is in a good area: IE, less noticeable area.

How did you post the pictures. I have not got that down yet. When I can, I wlll add some before and after pictures too.

Tom.

·
Registered
423 Posts

I just bought one yesterday. I have an old tank with "the ding" I was going to try and pull. Walgreens for $19. If it works, maybe you'll see the tank on ebay soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts