Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok you painters and other know it alls - got a question.

I purchased a very nice Carbon tank'd 900 w/ the Corse paint on the body bits. But amungst all this nice carbon w/ black & white paint is this odd gold thing - the gas cap.

So, I'm thining about having it painted to match the rest of the tank - a black or dark grey with white stripes.

Beyond the incrased likely hood of scratching that area each time I fill up, are there any other potential problems or hidden expenses that I might run into?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
The cap and the surrounding ring are anodized aluminum. Military/aerospace spec would be to clean well, lightly scotch-brite, and epoxy prime. A urethane topcoat will then work well.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I think I have just the thing for you at home in the garage....I bought a tank and it came with a carbon fiber gas cap that you put your lock into...wasn't sure what I was gonna do with it....maybe make me an offer....I haven't researched what they run for yet...I think it is a DP piece from the looks and fitment and all.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There are plenty of aftermarket caps, choose the one that works best for you [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You could also consider buffing the gold of (eventually expose natural colour), as paint could suffer from scratches in the slight chance you might rub the fuel nozle across it. Unlikely, but might really have you wondering why you painted something that sees lots of service... just a thought. - Chris

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
The stock one weighs quite a bit, I'd say replace it with a black billet unit, similar to the ones Motowheels sells.

The quick release ones work well too, but I'd say just get a black billet one for the weight savings, extra bike "jewelry" and, its the right color.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I Painted mine awhile back. Let it cure and you will be fine. Make sure it's really clean and use the right kind of primer. Remember you can always strip the paint off,if you don't like it. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts