Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to try and paint my own belt covers (god help me), so I thought i'd get some feedback before i started. i did a search on this, and here is what I found.

Step 1: Sand old paint off of plastic. After I read this, I got confused. I thought it was just grey plastic, not a gray paint. do i really need to sand it?

Step 2: Prime it.

Step 3: Paint a couple coats of the desired color on the part

Step 4: clear coat it.

I want the covers to be gloss black. should i use high temp engine enamel, a rattle can spray paint, or what?

If anyone's done the same thing in the same color, can you tell me what products you used, and any tips I should keep in mind? if it turns out like crap, i'm just gonna buy black ones from spareshack, so no real loss if i F up. TIA!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Umm... I didn't sand either... maybe it's to smooth it out? dunno...

I did, however, use vegitable oil to clean off the grease first, then used soapy water to wash that right off. then let it dry, primed and painted.

I used high temp paint, but may have been overkill.. it does tend to get hot down there, so I figured I'd play it safe. Don't know what others used. I also have mine a flat black, would look nice glossy too, but flat goes with the dark model just fine.
Here's a pic

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did u use a rattle can paint product and just spray it on, or a can of paint and just brush it on?

where did u buy the paint from? lowes, home depot...? thanks for the input!

·
Registered
376 Posts
If it were me, I'd wash the covers thoroughly, and not sand them, I think the texture on the covers will allow the paint to adhere better. I wouldn't bother to prime over the plastic, and the secret to rattle can painting is to put on 50 light coats and not 3 heavy ones, allowing a little (3-4 minutes) drying times between coats to prevent runs, and to get a good even coating. I also think that the high-temp paint requires a high temp to cure the paint otherwise it is really prone to scratching, I could be wrong about that, but that has been my observations. Good luck.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used a flat black paint specifically for plastic on my belt and sprocket covers. Washed them then put on about fifteen light coats. It wasn't a high temp paint and they look great after a year of use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sanding is a good idea when applying paint to plastics, but there is no need to go crazy with it. Just buy yourself some 600 grit aluminum oxide sand paper and give it a light buff. There is no need to apply much pressure, just enought to scuff the surface, some people use automotive scotch brite pads(maroonish in color), but i have not tried that, so... The next step would be to clean the part of all greases and chemicals, using an automotive cleaner/degreaser then rinsing with water works well. To get paints from a spray can to adhere well to your plastic, use a plastic primer(usually clear), a light coat will do just fine. Then use an automotive based spray paint, very light coats, the lighter the better. Spraying from a 45 degree angle as you pass back and forth works well for me(tip pointing away from the direction in which your painting). Leave a short time between coats and apply until paint is evenly coated. Then apply the clear coat, remember to use the same type of clear as the type of paint used. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, thanks for all the info!

i think what i'll do is not sand it, not prime it, but wash it thoroughly first. then apply light coats of gloss black (matches my gloss black everything else), then finish with a clear coat.

if it comes out like crap, THEN i'll sand it down, start with a primer (just in case), then do the same light spraying and clear coat.

aram, did u find out the brand name and product? where did you buy it?

Now for something different: If I wanted to try and do the rear hugger the same way, would I be doing something wrong? will that require heavier sanding than the belt covers, if needed at all? a different type of paint? thanks again in advance!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts