Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to paint the side panels of my monster the same color as my tank and front wheel hugger aswell as the new MadDocter tail chop kit I bought.

I found a can of car spray paint that I sprayed my old broken side panel to see if the color matches and it does, HOWEVER it is a grainy feel. What do I need to do to give it the same smooth glossy look as the front wheel hugger? Is it a spray gloss or what?

Edit:
Oh and one other thing... who makes this belly pan and how much is it? :)

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
you may just need to wet-sand it and polish it up, but if it's an off-the-shelf rattle-can, you may not have much to work with.

check with some auto-painters in your area, some may be able to put automotive paint into a spray can - then it will be automotive grade and should look perfect (maybe wet sand a bit).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is I asked a few local people if they could do it and they said it would cost 50 a panel to paint. I thought that was a rediculous price.

Yeh its an off the shelf rattle can. It says its for cars and motorbikes on the can.

wet sand? *unsure* whats that?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh I thought it was the Imola.. I dont need to convert from Euros because I am in Italy so deal with Euro's :)

I was looking at the ground clearence on it... it looks pretty low to the ground.. is it easy to ground with that pan? ???

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If it's *grainy* you maybe are holding the can too far from the piece, moving too fast, whatever. I painted my tank, fender, cowl last winter. First time painting and let me tell you it is a TON of work to get a quality job. There is NO substitute for experience in painting except lots of wet sanding.

The OEM paint is clearcoated and buffed too.

50 bucks a panel is a fair if not good price. At shop rates that is barely over an hour, not figuring materials.

Save yourself the headache.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clear coated eh? So how would I do that?

When I sprayed something as a test the overall color was perfect match BUT it didnt have that glossed over look of the tank and fender. So clear coating? Is there a spray can or something I can get that would do that? spray over the top to give it a hard clear shiney surface?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I used a two-part urethane clear coat so no finding that in a can. I don't know beans about what is available other than that.

·
Banned
57 Posts
You can get clear in a can but it will not hold up like 2 part clear.

2 part clear has hardener and makes it so you can rub it with laquer thinner and it wont come off. try that with spray paint and it comes right off. you can get a decent finish with cans though if you work on the prep.

If the paint is metallic, get a good even coat not glossy, then apply the clear after the color is good and dry. put some light coats of clear on then a heavier cpat of clear and let it dry well. if its not to your liking then wet sand and buff.

If its like black or a solid color, apply several ligt coats then wet sand it with 800 grit, clean the dust off let it dry and apply the clear as above. DO not colorsand metallic colors.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the info people [thumbsup]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts