Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to remove and paint my generator cover. I wanted to know if the special tool mentioned in the shop manual below is necessary or if you can get the piece off safely without it.

I am going to pull and paint my generator cover black to match the rest of my bike. I was wondering if anyone else has done this?

Are there any special things that I should know when removing/remounting this piece? I know you need to remove the slave cylinder to get the piece off, but are there any fluids or anything I need to worry about?

If anyone has any experience and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Painted the clutch cover and the other side last year and it looks awesome- I just want it to match.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mflood, I don't want to hijack your thread however I was just searching the forums looking for information on how to paint part of my clutch cover and I see you've done this already.

What I'm basically looking to do is paint the "DUCATI" letters on the clutch cover red. What type of paint do I need to buy? Is it spray only or do they make paint on? Is there a special Ducati Red or will "red" do? I assume it's a type of engine paint that I'd need.

Also, this may be a stupid question but can I simply take off that clutch cover. I'm learning and motorcycle repair and mods interest me but certainly is not my area of expertise.

Appreciate your guidance (or anyone else's for that matter).

Thanks.
Adam

PS - I did a little Photoshopping just to see what it might look like...

Before:

After:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That shouldnt be too hard- the clutch cover comes off pretty easily. You need to obviously drain the oil; so I would time it for when you need to change the oil anyways. Once you remove all of the bolts you can shake or rubber mallet the clutch cover off. You will need to get liquid gasket to remount it.

If you want to just paint the Ducati I would masking tape over it and cut around the letters with an exacto-knife; sand the letters a little so paint holds; and paint with high temp spray paint (look at like engine paint or header paint - stuff like this www.vhtpaint.com)

·
Registered
40 Posts
That shouldnt be too hard- the clutch cover comes off pretty easily. You need to obviously drain the oil; so I would time it for when you need to change the oil anyways. Once you remove all of the bolts you can shake or rubber mallet the clutch cover off. You will need to get liquid gasket to remount it.

If you want to just paint the Ducati I would masking tape over it and cut around the letters with an exacto-knife; sand the letters a little so paint holds; and paint with high temp spray paint (look at like engine paint or header paint - stuff like this www.vhtpaint.com)
Thank you for the response. The trouble I'm envisioning is getting the masking tape in the small part like in the center of the "D" or the "A" or the tiny slivers in between the letters. I have some small brushes and a steady hand. Any idea if they make these high heat paints in brush-on not spray? I'll do some Googling but thought I'd ask.

I will try your suggestion first with the masking tape to see how it goes. If I can't get it to sit right the only loss is some tape. I'm just afraid that the spray would bleed through the very thin pieces in those small spaces.

Thanks again.
Adam

·
Registered
4 Posts
mflood - do you have the torque specs for the three bolts along the bottom of the generator cover?

·
Registered
4 Posts
mflood: You don't need to buy the special tool from ducati but you do need some type of two hole puller. It's pretty difficult to keep everything straight while is coming off because you are also fighting the magnetic field of the alternator which is stronger than you would think. I made a puller in about 10 min. in my garage by drilling holes in a flat piece of steel to match the alternator cover and then drilling and tapping a 1/2" bolt through the center to push it off. You can also buy them for $15 at the auto parts store.

There are a couple o-rings your going to want to replace, check the parts manual to see what all is behind that cover. You will also want to replace the sight glass and shift lever seal if you take them out to paint as they are difficult to remove without damaging.

AdamF: What I did to paint the lettering was to put a piece of painters tape over the whole thing then make a rubbing of the letters using a piece of graphite. Take the tape off and press it onto a piece of wax paper. Then you can cut out perfect filler pieces and stick them in place.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
You can always just use an aerosol to fill a small cup if all you want is a small amount of paint to use with a brush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.