Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear to God (and Strati) :p that this will be my last paint/finish question for awhile.

The final step in my project will be repainting my engine to cover all the cosmetic damage done by an exploded battery. Basically, I've got the entire assembly sitting on a work bench, sans exhaust, carbs and intakes, oil cooler, oil lines, etc.

After a thorough cleaning, I'm taping off the intakes, view windows, etc. and I'm going to spray bomb this thing with engine enamel.

Beyond the obvious already mentioned, anyone got specific tips of stuff I should cover and not get paint on? TIA.
Dion
(ready to ride again)

S

·
0 Posts
AAAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHA!!!!
too funny dude ;)

so you're sanding, then repriming (over existing paint) and then spraying, right? when done, it would be a good way to slice a line through the paint where the case covers (on clutch side and stator side) bolt on so when removing these covers for service down the road, you're not destroying a paint seal. wait til it dries and use an exacto-knife i guess?
another thing is engine enamel (like any paint) is pretty susceptible to scratches unless well-cured. hit that sucker with a heatlamp before reassembly or you WILL scratch the finish and get annoyed with yourself...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I hadn't planned to prime. I was just going to clean thoroughly (degreaser, brake cleaner, soap and water, wire brushes), perhaps lightly scuff and shoot.

Really think the primer is necessary? Seems enough texture that the paint will stick fine. Good call on the heat lamp.
dion

1 - 3 of 3 Posts