Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to paint my belt covers black and i was wondering if I need high heat paint. What kind of paint would you recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
You don’t need high temp paint…post some picks once you done…I was thinking about doing the same…

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
As stated you don't need hi temp paint.
Clean them REAL well, ensure that ALL traces of oil/grease are removed.
Scuff with a scotch brite.
Clean REAL well with a prep solvent.
Use an adhesion promoter base coat.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do guys. It will be a while though- its cold and snowy here in MN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guy's new to the forum.

I painted mine with a paint called fast black a few months back along witht the engine took about 2.5 cans to cover nicely, goes on thin and leaves a nice matt finish, I'll post some pics after I finish the rebuild.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just dyed my covers (2001 600M dark) satin black. Yes dyed them. VHT sells a vinyl dye that soaks into plastic and wont ever chip off. I was skeptical but ordered a can from Summit Racing on eBay. (Arrived in a day...fast.) Two light coats and the covers look beautiful! A couple areas near the bosses and edges pooled a little after spraying but within 30 min it all was absorbed and the finish is completely uniform. Highly recommend it. I just washed the covers in in advance in dish detergent to get rid of any oil and dried them. They have a number of colors including gloss and satin black. I researched a number of other company's products and while they claim use on plastic or vinyl, they are all paint. This is the only spray dye I could find. I can post pics later if you wish.

·
Registered
635 Posts
took belt covers off, washed them with dish washing detergent, then some brake cleaner, a little rubbing with brillo pads, some more brake cleaner, 5 minutes in the oven at 250*f...took them out and sprayed two hands of paint then to the oven again for 5 more minutes and then resprayed one more hand, let dry and then one last hand to even out....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Timing belt covers for 2008 S4R-S

does anyone know who makes "open" or clear timing belt covers for an S4R-S? I see them for other Duc's but not for this.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I just painted my M900 (yr 2000) belt covers with the VHT dye - they look good as new! Thanks to hjeducaty for the tip!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just painted my M900 (yr 2000) belt covers with the VHT dye - they look good as new! Thanks to hjeducaty for the tip!
I've been think of doing this myself. What color did you use and do you have any photos to post and check out?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Awesome thanks, I will definitely be doing this over the winter.

Reactions: mahtin
1 - 20 of 21 Posts