Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to paint a helmet? I bought a nice Shoei helmet a couple of weeks ago, and got a great price on it, the only problem is with the flashy graphics on it. I have an airbrush that I've never used before, and figured on painting the helmet. Any suggestions on how to do it? Types of paint? Clearcoats? Don't have much knowledge of painting, but I do have a helmet or two that I can practice on. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a video on vhs from airbrush airhead that is a Walk Though on How To Paint a Helmet with an airbrush kit. It will take you through step by step on materials needed, helmet prep and everything else you need to know. I can try to upload it to my computer and and convert it to divx and send it to you, but it is going to be kinda big.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would assume the same as a car.
I wouldn't; helmets are fiberglass. Unless you mean corvettes, of course. The difference is that cracking open your corvette is annoying; cracking open your helmet is religious.

I wrote to Arai asking this very question, and painting voids your warranty, as you've probably guessed. Something about paint carriers getting into the resin and weakening the shell. Having worked with composites before, I'd believe it. Even some stickers have volatile organics in the adhesive that aren't recommended. I'm certain there's a paint out there that doesn't have a noticeable effect, but it depends on the resin in your particular helmet.

Needless to say, sanding also weakens the shell.
Rene Carlos

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Cactus, I appreciate the thought, but with my internet connection (I swear to god that there are squirrels running on wheels to power the server) it would take me about 7000 hours to download something like that. I know that it is not recommended to paint your helmet, but I also know that lots and lots of people do it. I basically want to know what types of paint to use, and what type of sandpaper to use, and the rest I can wing it (and screw up a couple of cheap garage sale helmets in the process). Thanks for trying Cactus, I appreciate it [smiley=waytogo.gif]

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's cool. If you like, I can mail a copy on cd to you. Just pm or email me an address and I can send a burnt divx copy via snail mail. Either way, good luck, and post results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts